Intersect bug

Q&A's, tips, howto's
tadeas

Intersect bug

Post by tadeas »

Hi, if there's a dedicated bug tracker for newLISP please let me know and I'll repost it there.

There's a bug in intersect function:

Code: Select all

$ newlisp
newLISP v.10.5.4 64-bit on OSX IPv4/6 UTF-8, options: newlisp -h

> (set 'a '(2 2))
(2 2)
> (set 'b '(2 2 2))
(2 2 2)
> (intersect a b true)
(2 2)
> (intersect b a true)
(2 2 2)

cormullion

Re: Intersect bug

Post by cormullion »

Hi tadeas. Is that a bug?

tadeas

Post by tadeas »

Now that I read intersect documentation again it looks like this behavior is correct.
In the second syntax, intersect returns a list of all elements in list-A that are also in list-B, without eliminating duplicates in list-A
But, then, intersect function is not doing an intersection (on the other hand nobody says it should). From what I remember from studies, intersection of {1 2 2 2 3} and {2 2} is unambiguously {2 2} .

cormullion

Post by cormullion »

Perhaps there are some variations in the definition of intersection...

With this definition: "All the elements of set A that are in set B":

Code: Select all

(intersect '(1 2 2 2 3) '(2 2) true)
;-> (2 2 2)
it looks correct. But "All the elements of set B that are in set A" should be returning '(2 2). Trouble is, A and B aren't sets... :)

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

When elements in the participating sets are unique, intersect works like the algebraic intersection and the position of sets in the expression is commutative. When not using the true parameter, lists are converted into unique collections sets.

Almost always intersect is used in newLISP to make a selection of elements in one set depending of elements in another set. The positions in the intersect expression are not commutative when elements in a set are not unique. This and the true parameter give us more possibilities selecting elements than using pure algebraic intersection on unique collections.

tadeas

Post by tadeas »

Very well, this is not a bug.

I made two mistakes:
1) I didn't properly read intersect documentation so I expected it to do something a bit different.
2) I didn't realize that the algebraic intersection doesn't really make sense on lists with the same element more times.

I'm sorry guys.

cormullion

Post by cormullion »

No worries - it made me read that part of the manual again, so I gained something too... :)

rickyboy

Post by rickyboy »

What cormullion said. :)

I'm not a beginner at newLISP, and I learned something. Thanks for your post, tadeas!
(λx. x x) (λx. x x)