Nearly Free Speech is not updated for newLisp

Notices and updates
ale870

Nearly Free Speech is not updated for newLisp

Post by ale870 »

Hello Lutz,

this site (which is good to execute newLisp cgi) contains old newLisp interpreter. I wrote him and he told me:
"The current supported version is 9.4. If you would like a more recent version you will need to contact the port maintainer and ask for an update."
So, I think you could regularly send them interpreter updates (or, at least, you could send only most stable versions).

THis is my 2 cents opinion.

See here also:
http://example.nfshost.com/versions.php
--

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

If they mean the FreeBSD newLISP port (NFS runs FreeBSD) then they can find it here. I believe, the name of the maintainer is Stanislav Sedov; or they can contact me too. Or they read the last paragraph of this post and put the executable where they want it to reside.

http://portsmon.freebsd.org/portovervie ... me=newlisp

With 10.0.2 It is not the latest version, which would be 10.1.0

You can just compile it yourself on your site and put the executable in to your web directory as cgi-bin/newlisp. No other file is required! It compiles with just doing 'make'. All of www.newlisp.org currently runs on v.10.1.0. E.g. this http://www.newlisp.org/mandelbrot.cgi (also click on source link to see the #! line).

ale870

Post by ale870 »

Thank you, I just "forwared" their request.
About putting newLisp interpreter in NearlyFreeSpeech... I don't know if it works, since it already supply a newLisp version.

I will try it.

Thank you!
--

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

don't know if it works, since it already supply a newLisp version
http://www.newlisp.org does run on version 10.1.0 on NearlyFreeSpeech right now :-), they are hosting it!

ale870

Post by ale870 »

Thank you Lutz, you always help me!
--

cormullion

Post by cormullion »

I contacted their support desk at the end of last year asking about the upgrade from 9.3 to 10, and received the following response:
Newlisp 10 looks compatibility-breaking so I'm not sure when the FreeBSD maintainer will decide to make the switch.
They did, though, upgrade from 9.3 to 9.4 in January. Last week, I asked again about upgrading to v10, and received this response:
We've got this upgrade ready to go. It should be available within 24 hours of the closure of 39844.
where 39844 is system problem they're trying to fix and close.

I don't suppose it hurts anyone to have loads of people asking for the latest and greatest newLISP version! Although they'll probably install v10 rather than v10.1 I suppose...

Typically, you'll find the official newlisp binary by starting your scripts with:

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/env newlisp
since they store the binaries in /usr/local/bin (or is it /usr/bin/local?).

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

Although they'll probably install v10 rather than v10.1 I suppose
... which would be Ok, as 10.0 and 10.1 are pretty much compatible. NFS already runs 2 versions of Python and 2 of Tcl, they could do the same for newLISP. For my own stuff I don't care and have all cgi files with #!/home/htdocs/cgi-bin/newlisp. NearlyFreeSpeech runs (like everybody else) some sort of virtual server software, so all client sites have their own /home/htdocs/ and you can do inside of that whatever you want, i.e. create your own /home/htdocs/cgi-bin.

ale870

Post by ale870 »

Good idea Lutz, so everyone can implement and upgrade it's own newLisp engine to the version he/she wants.

Just for curiosity: do you know if there are other hosts that allow to use newLisp as CGI (even in the same way you told me before)?
--

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

do you know if there are other hosts that allow to use newLisp as CGI
Yes, if you compile it yourself, all of them.

You need a website hosting account which includes a shell-account with access to a C-compiler. All of the 3 ISPs I have used over years allowed this. Using self compiled stuff on your site isn't anything special, many are doing it. E.g. in my case, I also have gnuplot compiled and installed. Others install imagemagick etc.

Ask your ISP for a shell-account. Often they are standard even on the cheaper plans. All of the shell-account plans, I have seen, include C/C++ compilers. Go with an ISP running FreeBSD or Linux, some offer both to choose. Make yourself familiar with Unix utilities like scp for file transfer and ssh to log in. If you are running a Windows machine at home, get the Putty terminal program and accompanying utilities. Its free and also includes pscp.exe for file transfers. Some ISPs have Putty available to their clients for download.

Don't expect any help or support from your ISP when compiling yourself. Learn your stuff before you use it. If you are not familiar with C programming and UNIX, then don't do it. All ISPs have FAQ sections to find out about correct permissions of your files and directories on their installation, htaccess Apache file configuration etc.