debian package for newLisp

Machine-specific discussion
Unix, Linux, OS X, OS/2, Windows, ..?
Dmi

Post by Dmi »

Release 9.1 is available as final proposed version as source and debian binaries.
All looking fine to me including COPYING and CREDITS.
I'll investigate the way to officially register this as debian package.

Any suggestions are welcome as usual :-)
WBR, Dmi

nigelbrown

Post by nigelbrown »

My reading of Ubuntu packaging list was that if something is debian accepted then it can be included in Ubuntu by submitting 'bug report' that it's not in Ubuntu but in debian. This is possibily best way to Ubuntu

Nigel

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

Thanks Dmitry, the package installs with a libc 6.0 warning message on UBUNTU 6.06 when using dpkg but the installed files look fine and newLISP runs.

But using gdebi on UBUNTU will not allow installation because of the library issue. So it looks like for UBUNTU we definetely have to go with the package made for UBUNTU, which is Ok. I wonder how other Debian based distributions behave, i.e. SUSE.

Also to Nigel: on my UBUNTU 6.06 no installation suggestion comes up when using Firefox, this seems to be an advanced 6.10 feature targeted for UBUNTU 7.0. Lets hope it will work on future UBUNTU stable distributions, because it certainly is a nice feature.

Lutz

nigelbrown

Post by nigelbrown »

Hi Lutz
Lutz wrote:Thanks Dmitry, the package installs with a libc 6.0 warning message on UBUNTU 6.06 when using dpkg but the installed files look fine and newLISP runs.
On my Ubuntu 6.06 install as updated by 21Feb updates I install the deb using gdebi with no warnings at all.
Lutz wrote:Also to Nigel: on my UBUNTU 6.06 no installation suggestion comes up when using Firefox, this seems to be an advanced 6.10 feature targeted for UBUNTU 7.0. Lets hope it will work on future UBUNTU stable distributions, because it certainly is a nice feature.
Lutz
I still get the offer to install in 6.06 (updated as above) using firefox 1.5. Click on the deb gives offer to open with gdebi and when this is accepted the file downloads and gdebi offers to install it. Accepting offer has gdebi install with no libc warning.
Maybe you need to update your 6.06 using update manager? Do you have gdebi?

In summary newlisp installs fine on both my 6.06 and 6.10 systems.

Nigel

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

May be the difference is, that I am using the life CD without ever really installing it. But Firefox 1.6 and gebi are included in the life mode. Firefox doesn't offer me the install options, but I click on the package after downoading and then gdbi comes up.

Lutz

Dmi

new rebuild

Post by Dmi »

The debian package was modified to better satisfy the standards.
in brief:
- COPYING will not be included in the binary tree, because the using of "copyright" is suggested (according to lintian check, shown below), and because each debian installation has a copy of GPLv2 in standard place.
- tcltk.lsp will be installed as executable (another lintian warning)
- sqlite3.lsp has a corrected path to libsqlie3.so for compatibility to sqlite3 debian package.
- package versioning and build structure is modified to meet debian standard for non-native debian packages.

Below is the reference output of "lintian" - debian package policy checker, started on old newlisp deb package:
W: newlisp: extra-license-file usr/share/doc/newlisp/COPYING
N:
N: All license information should be collected in the debian/copyright
N: file. This usually makes it unnecessary for the package to install
N: this information in other places as well.
N:
N: Refer to Policy Manual, section 12.5 for details.
N:
W: newlisp: script-not-executable ./usr/share/newlisp/tcltk.lsp
N:
N: This file starts with the #! sequence that marks interpreted scripts,
N: but it is not executable.
And finally, newlisp 9.1.1 was packaged and is available from my repository.
WBR, Dmi

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

- COPYING will not be included in the binary tree, because the using of "copyright" is suggested (according to lintian check, shown below), and because each debian
Yes, leave it out.
- tcltk.lsp will be installed as executable (another lintian warning)
Yes, should be installed with executable permissions.
- sqlite3.lsp has a corrected path to libsqlie3.so for compatibility to sqlite3 debian package.
No, absolutely not, sqlite3.lsp should stay with the same path and name. libsqlite2.so would suggest a binary shared library. sqlite3.lsp is an included piece of newLISP code, just like mysql.lsp. Please do not change the path or name of sqlite3.lsp.

Lutz

Dmi

Post by Dmi »

Lutz wrote:
No, absolutely not, sqlite3.lsp should stay with the same path and name. libsqlite2.so would suggest a binary shared library. sqlite3.lsp is an included piece of newLISP code, just like mysql.lsp. Please do not change the path or name of sqlite3.lsp.

Lutz
Oh, no! Probably I was wrong with my english :-)
sqlite3.lsp itself is resists at usual place of course.
I just have corrected the path to "libsqlite3.so" shared library _in_the_code_ of sqlite3.lsp. Because no one in debian community has libsqlite3.so in /usr/local/lib ;-)
WBR, Dmi

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

Oh, sorry I misunderstood, yes of course change to the correct path for libsqlite3.so. Many OSs, including MacOS X now install libsqlite3.dylib in /usr/lib by default.

For the next version I will move to the new library detection method, as used in crypto.lsp http://newlisp.org/code/modules/crypto.lsp.src.html this way we can accomodate several paths and make it right for everybody.

Lutz

Dmi

Post by Dmi »

Good improvement! Thanks!

So, I planing to send official request for including the package in the debian tree next week.
WBR, Dmi

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

Thanks Dmitry, I tried Etch and Sarge packages on UBUNTU with the following results:

Sarge install on UBUNTU 6.06 LTS

Code: Select all

ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Desktop$ sudo dpkg -i newlisp_9.1.1-2_i386.deb
Selecting previously deselected package newlisp.
(Reading database ... 67140 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking newlisp (from newlisp_9.1.1-2_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of newlisp:
 newlisp depends on libreadline4 (>= 4.3-1); however:
  Package libreadline4 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing newlisp (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 newlisp
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Desktop$ newlisp
newlisp: error while loading shared libraries: libreadline.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Desktop$
Etch install on UBUNTU 6.06 LTS

uubuntu@ubuntu:~/Desktop$ sudo dpkg -i newlisp_9.1.1-2_i386.deb
Selecting previously deselected package newlisp.
(Reading database ... 67140 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking newlisp (from newlisp_9.1.1-2_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of newlisp:
 newlisp depends on libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6); however:
  Version of libc6 on system is 2.3.6-0ubuntu20.
 newlisp depends on libreadline5 (>= 5.2); however:
  Version of libreadline5 on system is 5.1-7build1.
dpkg: error processing newlisp (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 newlisp
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Desktop$ newlisp
newLISP v.9.1.1 on Linux, execute 'newlisp -h' for more info.

>
Both install all files corrrectly, but Sarge will not run because of missing libreadline.so.4 on the UBUNTU live CD. What Debian distribution/version did you use to make the packages?

Etch will use libreadline5 and then runs fine.

Lutz

Dmi

Post by Dmi »

Lutz, in common it's not really correct to use etch or sarge packages for Ubuntu. Ubuntu is somewhere in the middle of sarge and etch, with its own improvements.

The package for Ubuntu must be recompled from source.
Really, the procedure is simple:
You have to add in /etc/apt/sources.list

deb-src http://en.feautec.pp.ru/debian/ etch main
Also you have to install:

# apt-get install dpkg-dev fakeroot
And then

$ sudo apt-get update
$ apt-get source newlisp
$ cd newlisp-9.1.1
$ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
$ cd ..
$ sudo dpkg -i newlisp-9.1.1-.....deb
This is the righ way.

Really, I building by hands only etch-amd64 binary deb. Other branches (sarge-i386 and etch-i386) are always built by the same procedure, automated by a script.

Good news: next week I'll try to build and post Ubuntu native package (I got a volunteer :-)
WBR, Dmi

Dmi

Post by Dmi »

Package is registered on mentors.debian.net.
The Request For a Sponsor was sent.
WBR, Dmi

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

Thanks for the good work Dmitry

Lutz

nigelbrown

Post by nigelbrown »

Newlisp deb installs fine on Ubuntu 7.04 - the Feisty Fawn (upgraded to 7.04 by update-manager). However when first running newlisp-tk the font used (fixed size 14) looks a bit thready (see http://users.cyberone.com.au/nbrown/Scr ... v.1.37.png ). It looks better at different size (almost anything but 14) or different fixed font. Just a little aesthetic point but it makes newlisp-tk not look as good as it could - maybe a font other than fixed 14 could be specified for newlisp-tk console? I.e. in newlisp-tk change
set Ide(fontName) "fixed"
set Ide(fontSize) 14

I don't know how the font looks on other systems so fixed 14 may be the best all round even if it's a bit poor on Ubuntu.

Nigel
(just changed to Courier 15 and saved config file (Save Settings) for my use)