Can you link the newlisp-tk executable

Machine-specific discussion
Unix, Linux, OS X, OS/2, Windows, ..?
nodrog_reversed

Can you link the newlisp-tk executable

Post by nodrog_reversed »

Hi,

A "newbie" question. Sorry if it's been asked before - couldn't find anything with a search.

Can you use link.lsp (or variant) to bind code to the newlisp-tk executable. I'm just thinking of making an executable with GUI that can be used/distributed as a single file. I tried with the link.lsp from source but it wasn't working for this case.

Thanks,
Gordon.

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

link.lsp can only be used to link to the main newLISP executable, not newLIP-tk. But newlisp-tk.exe itself is packaged with a program called "freewrap". It is available on the newlisp.org website here: http://newlisp.org/downloads/Tools/ and at sourceforge.net. in a newer version. Freewrap is packaging all the Tcl/Tk stuff and the newLISP-TK frontend Tcl/Tl code into one file. It shouldn't be hard to add newLISP source files.

HPW on this diskussion group may be able to help you, because he is doing exactly that. There has also been some discussion about this on this board, and some example scripts / batch files, how to do it, have been published here.

Lutz

HPW

Post by HPW »

I have used freewrap and Tcl Dev Kit from activestate.

They allow both to build your own newLISP TK-Frontend.
You can use the newlisp-tk.tcl from the source distribution as a template for building you own frontend. Then you have a similar solution like newLISP-TK with 2 running processes communicating via TCP/IP.

The other possibility is to use newLISP.dll and call it from other apps developed on windows like delphi, powerbasic or neobook. There you call the DLL into your main process.
Hans-Peter