New installation on Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Machine-specific discussion
Unix, Linux, OS X, OS/2, Windows, ..?
mbartz

New installation on Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Post by mbartz »

I did a fresh install on El Capitan (10.11.4) and I am having an error finding the Java JRE on my machine. I have the 1.8 JRE installed but it is not found by the installed newLISP-GS. I read some earlier posts and was able to get the GUI editor running using this:

Code: Select all

java -jar /usr/local/share/newlisp/guiserver.jar 47011 /usr/local/bin/newlisp-edit
Is there a configuration not set?

Also, FYI, the README for the 10.7 still refers to /usr/bin rather than /usr/local/bin for the newlisp executables.

Lutz

Re: New installation on Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Post by Lutz »

Not sure what is going on. Perhaps a faulty Java installation? Have not seen this, I am also running OSX Capitan and always update/install the latest Java. Perhaps other users have seen this?

Several documentation files needed update to /usr/local, see here: http://www.newlisp.org/downloads/develo ... nprogress/

mbartz

Post by mbartz »

Does the GUI editor depend on any environment variables being set? I have scoured the forums and see some mention of JAVA_HOME as an env variable.

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

On both the OS X and Windows system, I am using, JAVA_HOME is not defined but the java executable (javaw on Windows) is in the executable path.

On OS X there is a link from /usr/bin/java to the Java Framework files:

Code: Select all

~> which java     
/usr/bin/java
~> ls -ltr /usr/bin/java
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  74 Dec 17 15:31 /usr/bin/java -> /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/Current/Commands/java
~>