Newlisp_7004 running on RedHat 8.0 was easy :)

Machine-specific discussion
Unix, Linux, OS X, OS/2, Windows, ..?
CaveGuy

Newlisp_7004 running on RedHat 8.0 was easy :)

Post by CaveGuy »

This weekends project was to figure out how to get linux running on my "old" computer and get Newlisp-tk running on it.

I started out with the Redhat 8.0 boxed install disks and used the redhat network to update everything all 136.8 megs worth. I ended up with Linux Version 2.4.18-26.8.0 (redhat). Newlisp installed as expected and poof ... it worked .... well kind of.... newlisp-tk gave me errors (duh) I loaded ActiveState's ActiveTcl8.4.2.0 and the Newlisp-tk problems went away (duh:) ... it worked ..... I am impressed .. But I impress easily :)

And my point is .....
This forum has gone months without even a single post, so bigmouth here will start it it off by saying. If this MircoSlave got it to install and run, anyone should be able to :)

Thanks again to Lutz for making newlisp so portable, his directions/doc got me, a newbee through it :)

Next project is to install the httpd service and make lsp's work as cgi's in this enviroment, then on to the mailserver and ........
Bob the Caveguy aka Lord High Fixer.

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

I am currently on a trip to Boca Raton in Florida, so excuse me everybody if I am not on looking into this board on a regular basisc.

Good luck on LINUX, you will see you have your web and mailserver running on it in no time. Apache is a great webserver and there are several good choices for mail, I.E. postfix, qmail etc. There are also some really nice webmail packages like Squirrelmail (which I am using). The bulletin board running right here (phpBB) is also pretty good.

Reagrding newLISP-tk, I observed great differences in graphics speed on different machines, depending on the graphics adapter used. Not all graphics adapters drivers on LINUX make full use of acceleration facilities offered on different graphics cards. So you may be lucky or not depending on your hardware. It may be potentially a lot faster than under Windows, but I also have seeing it crawl.

newLISP generally runs about 10-20% faster on LINUX due to better multitasking of the OS in LINUX.

Lutz