Could not connect to guiserver.jar

Machine-specific discussion
Unix, Linux, OS X, OS/2, Windows, ..?
Tangram

Could not connect to guiserver.jar

Post by Tangram »

Hi,

I've just installed newlisp on Linux (Salix 14.1, a Slackware derivative) and am getting an error - "Could not connect to guiserver.jar" - when trying to run newlisp-edit.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Lutz

Re: Could not connect to guiserver.jar

Post by Lutz »

Make sure Java can be found on your system. On other os than Windows or Mac OS X, Java is looked for by guiserver.lsp in either environment variable JAVA_HOME or if that env. variable is not set, it expects the java binary instead in /usr/bin/java

There are two ways the guiserver IDE starts. Either starting with the newlsip-edit which will start then guiserver.jar or by starting guiserver.jar with newlisp-edit as argument.

When Java is in the execution path, you can start with Guiserver manually like this:

Code: Select all

java -jar /usr/share/newlisp/guiserver.jar 47011 /usr/bin/newlisp-edit
Instead of 47011 try any other port number bigger than 1024. For port numbers smaller than 1024 you would need root permissions. Guiserver will use the the port number you specified and the number following. newLISP packages ship using 2000 and 2001.

This (or similar) is what you should see in the shell window:

Code: Select all

newLISP-GS v.1.60 on Mac OS X
 listening on 2000
 accepted connection from 0.0.0.0
 connecting to 0.0.0.0:2001
 retrying to connect
server connected

Tangram

Re: Could not connect to guiserver.jar

Post by Tangram »

Hi Lutz,

Thanks for the reply. I had to change the directory newlisp to newlisp-10.6.0 and then I was able to get the editor running by using your code for starting the guiserver manually.

JAVA_HOME is set to /usr/lib/java, so not sure why it wasn't working out-of-the-box, unless it has something to do with the difference in directory names. Although I've got the editor working, problem is that I get the same error when trying to run a gui program from it.