newLISP on Raspberry Pi with Readline and FFI

Machine-specific discussion
Unix, Linux, OS X, OS/2, Windows, ..?
crms1496

newLISP on Raspberry Pi with Readline and FFI

Post by crms1496 »

Is it possible to build newLISP on my Pi, which is running Raspbian Testing, with Readline and FFI? I edited the raspberrypi_utf8 make file to have the readline lines uncommented, and the other lines commented, but I always get errors during make. Also, the version of libffi-dev in testing doesn't match the version I saw in the linux_utf8_ffi file. Should I have libffi5-dev installed instead?

Lutz

Re: newLISP on Raspberry Pi with Readline and FFI

Post by Lutz »

If I remember well, the minimum version is libffi-3.0.11, current is libffi-3.0.13. You could just try compiling and then run the file: newlisp-10.6.0/qa-specific-tests/qa-libc-libffi to test. You also could try running newlisp-10.6.0/qa-specific-tests/qa-libffi, but you would need to compile newlisp-10.6.0/util/ffitest.c for that.

I don't thing you need libffi-dev, but you need the header files ffi.h and ffitarget.h.

crms1496

Post by crms1496 »

So, do I have to edit the makefile to build with FFI support? I see that there are linux_utf8 and linux_utf8_ffi makefiles, but only raspberrypi and raspberrypi_utf8.

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

There is a simple, built in FFI interface which doesn’t need any special libraries. Then there is an extended FFI interface for which you need a special library ‘libffi’ and the makefile has to be edited for it.

For the READLINE flavor - editing of the command line - you too need a special library and edit the makefile.

newLISP source only ships with makefiles which have been proven to work on their hardware platform and OS. This is why not for all platforms and OSs all makefiles are available.