Puppy Linux

Machine-specific discussion
Unix, Linux, OS X, OS/2, Windows, ..?
techdir0

Puppy Linux

Post by techdir0 »

I wonder if anyone has succeeded in running NewLisp under Puppy Linux, preferably 5.2.8?

If so, is there an SFS available?

UPDATE:

Well, I got the source, and was able to compile it, but had to remove FFI from the compile and link lines in the makefile, to avoid errors.

Seems to be working reasonably well so far ..

johu

Re: Puppy Linux

Post by johu »

Maybe, you should install libffi.

I tried at puppy 5.2.8 , but Japanese customized version.

1. Download libffi-3.0.12.tar.gz from http://sourceware.org/libffi/
2. 'configure' and 'make' and 'make install'
3. copy ffi.h and ffitarget.h to /usr/include.

Then, I succeeded in compile with FFI version newLISP.

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

Currently all standard modules http://www.newlisp.org/code/modules/ with the exception of gsl.lsp, can be imported using the simple ffi, which is present even when compiling without the -DFFI and the libffi library.

When trying to compile with libffi, the error messages are mostly because the compiler cannot find ffi.h and ffitarget.h. After installing libffi make sure you have the right include path for it in the compile line of the makefile. See the files makefile_linux_ffi or makefile_linux_utf8_ffi as examples or, as Johu is suggesting, just copy them to /usr/include/. configure will pick either the 32-bit version or the 64-bit LP64 version, depending on your Puppy install. configure will just take one of those makefile and copy it to makefile_build. So after configure you could look into makefile_build, to see what it did. You can also force a specific makefile by doing:

make -f makefile_xxx

...just picking one from the make_xxx's in the source distribution.

By default it tries to pick a -DSUPPORT_UTF8 and -DREADLINE enabled makefile.

techdir0

Post by techdir0 »

Thanks both - very helpful.

I discovered - quite by accident - that I could use the modules I needed, even without compiling in FFI: just as Lutz points out.

I'll experiment further when time allows, and report back here.