# newlisp -v
newLISP v.10.3.3 on OSX IPv4/6 UTF-8.
Scenario:

- Open newLISP-GS
- enter some code
- save/execute that code
- Do some actual paying work for a while
- Close the laptop and go home
- Open the laptop hours later at home - I can no longer save, execute code, or do anything with newLISP-GS other than close. Sometimes I have to kill the proc.

Is there some way I can avoid this? It's not a killer - I like emacs for actual coding - but it sure is annoying.

Another question while I'm here

When I save-as it defaults to $HOME. But then the next time I save-as - even the same file - it defaults to $HOME not the directory I last saved.

Is this by design?

Lutz

Re: newLISP-GS - OS X - freezes after hibernation -

Post by Lutz »

newLISP-GS not coming up after a sleep seems to be a Java issue and is not present on all OSs and versions, e.g. on my Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 installation, it works fine.

During a session with newLISP-GS the directory at first defaults to $HOME or whatever is set in the $HOME/.newlisp-edit.conf, then to the last one used. Also, when using "File/Recent File" to open a file, newLISP-GS remembers its full pathname from saving during the last session and will open that file correctly.

If you prefer a different default directory from $HOME upon start of newLISP-GS, edit the hidden $HOME/.newlisp-edit.conf using the "Tools/Edit Settings" option in the main menu and then do a "File/Save Settings".

Ps: OS X also has different sleep settings, you can modify using the 'pmset' command-line utility. Perhaps this alleviates the laptop sleep problem.

BDunbar

Post by BDunbar »

If you prefer a different default directory from $HOME upon start of newLISP-GS, edit the hidden $HOME/.newlisp-edit.conf

Exactly what was wanted - thanks!

I'll poke around with the hibernation settings.

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

Oops, after using "Tools/Edit Settings" save with "File/Save" or the blue disk-icon not "File/Save Settings" which can be used to create a $HOME/.newlisp-edit.conf.lsp if it hasn't been installed.

Also, it's the 'currentDir' variable, you have to edit.

As an alternative to editing the conf file directly, you can just open a file in a directory, then do a "File/Save Settings" to create a new $home/.newlisp-edit.conf with a changed 'currentDir' variable. All other settings you canged, i.e. using the "View" menu will also be reflected in the new $home/.newlisp-edit.conf.