non functioning on Windows 2000

Machine-specific discussion
Unix, Linux, OS X, OS/2, Windows, ..?
jgb

Post by jgb »

I've just installed newlisp on a Windows 2000 system and the gui version does nothing when run (console version seems to work). Are you certain you don't need the activestate implemenatation of tcl/tk? It's considerably larger than the supplied .exe.

[Windows 2000 is installed on drive D, primary partition of slave drive, newlisp on partition E, secondary partition of master drive, in case that could be of significance.]

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

No other Tcl/Tk installation is required! All standard libraries and BWidget libraries are contained in the newlisp-tk.exe. When installing on a diferent drive then 'C' only change the drive letter on the install applet to 'E' or whatever drive you use. After that edit the file "newlisp-tk.config" for adifferent location of the help files and maybe a different location of the 'temp' directory. Make sure the 'temp' directory exists on the drive indicated.

If you still have problems, post your 'newlisp-tk.config' file and tell what version you are installing.

Lutz

jgb

Post by jgb »

I'm afraid there is still no indication of newlisp-tk functioning other than a little disc activity. Nothing in the task manager.

The config file follows:
# newlisp-tk.config - newLISP Tcl/Tk configuration file
#
# This file is generated by menu "Options/Save settings"
#

set Ide(HelpProgram) "d:/Program Files/Internet Explorer/IEXPLORE.EXE"
set Ide(HelpTopic) "e:/Program Files/newlisp/newlisp_manual.html"
set Ide(HelpTopic-tk) "e:/Program Files/newlisp/newlisp-tk.html"
set Ide(TCLTKhost) "127.0.0.1"
set Ide(TCLTKport) "64003"
set Ide(consoleBackground) "white"
set Ide(consoleForeground) "navy"
set Ide(consoleHeight) "30"
set Ide(consoleWidth) "80"
set Ide(debuggerBackground) "white"
set Ide(debuggerForeground) "navy"
set Ide(debuggerHeight) "24"
set Ide(debuggerWidth) "65"
set Ide(editorBackground) "white"
set Ide(editorForeground) "navy"
set Ide(editorHeight) "30"
set Ide(editorWidth) "65"
set Ide(fontName) "Lucida Console"
set Ide(fontSize) "11"
set Ide(imageDir) "/freewrap/images"
set Ide(initCommand) ""
set Ide(lispFileExtension) ".lsp"
set Ide(maxHistory) "50"
set Ide(newLISPbufferPort) "64002"
set Ide(newLISPhost) "127.0.0.1"
set Ide(newLISPport) "64001"
set Ide(platform) "windows"
set Ide(tempDir) "C:/temp"

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

Your config file seems to be fine. am I understanding you correctly, that you don't see anything? no window? just diskactivity?

I have no clue, what is going on there, what version are you running? although it doesn't matter, most of the Tcl/Tk has been developed and tested on Win2k.

How is your network situation, do you have an ethernet card installed? are you running other applications on your Win2k box, which use TcpIp communications? If nor ehthernet but dialup, then do a dialup first to get your TcpIp stack up, then try newLisp again? From the Win2K console window can you ping yourself: ping 127.0.0.1 ?

Does anybody else here on the board have an idea?

Lutz

jgb

Post by jgb »

You have a correct description of the start-up failure.
Pinging works. Being connected to the internet makes no difference to the non-functionality so far as I can see.

The computer is an antiquated desktop (NEC package), pentium II, 350MHz, no ethernet, v90 modem.

The newlisp was downloaded a few days ago from the nuevatec web site - there seems to be no version information on the exe.

I notice you seem to have no uninstall information and the package does not register itself with the Windows Add/Delete interface. It would be helpful to know what it does in the installation procedure (or is intended to do) - exe's ought to do something when present, after all.

-James Bennett
Edinburgh

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

>>>>
The newlisp was downloaded a few days ago from the nuevatec web site - there seems to be no version information on the exe.
>>>>

strange, all packages on newlisp.org have a version information on the filename and all executables display a version number on startup. The current releas is:

http://nuevatec.com/download/newlisp_70 ... tk-094.exe

for the windows installer. This means version 7.0.1 for the newlisp.exe executable and version 0.94 for the newlisp-tk.exe frontend. The current release version no is also advertised on bot webpages: nuevatec.com and newlisp.org.

Perhaps you should download the file in the above link and try again.

Lutz

jgb

Post by jgb »

that's the file that was used - I was looking for version information through the Windows property page.

Is there some way to get uninstall/install information - it seems to have made registry changes?

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

The install, doesn't do any registry changes, but just makes a directory and copies the files into it. Removing the directory created and the files in it totally uninstalls.

The installer was made with NSIS from http://nullsoft.com and you can find the configuration file 'newlisp0tk.nsi" in the newlisp source distribution. I may add an uninstall and install registration in the future (NSIS supplies tools for this), this would then write entries to the registriy. Up to now the philosophy as been not making any changes to the host system, but the creation of the newlisp directory with it's files.

But back to your install problem: I suspect, that there is something in your Win2k installation ioncompatible with Tcl/Tk 8.3. The first thing happening during startup is the creation of a window via Tcl/Tk in newlisp-tk.exe, after that that the frontend opens a Tcp/Ip port and starts up newlisp.exe in listening mode (using options -p, see manual).

Have you acces to a different computer (Win 98, Win2k, WinXP) to try another install? What kind of things are installed to your system? Is there an older Tcl/Tk imstallation flying around conflicting with newlisp-tk?

Lutz

jgb

Post by jgb »

Sorry about the registry error - the entries seem to all be Windows house keeping, internet links, etc.

Generally I prefer not having the Windows installation used, in case your taking a user (or non-user survey).

There is a former installation of the active state tcl/tk on the system but it was a part of a Windows 98 system that recently crashed irremediably leading me to install Windows 2000. Most of the old programme files are still on the computer until I can work out how to recover the W98 system. I would have expected that they would be ignored by newlisp as merely data files since the active state material would have no links in the Windows registry but I might try zipping them or removing them.

I'll also try newlisp on a W98 and possibly a WXP system shortly and let you know about the results.
I find the idea of using the Tcl/tk system appealing and will probably want to look into the mechanism when I can get time.

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

Yes, I also would expect newlisp-tk.exe to ignore and old installation. Typically Win32 looks for DLLs in the current directory, in this case inside the file newlisp-tk.exe. I.E. on my system I have a newer Tcl/Tk (8.4) installed but the newlisp-tk always comes up displaying the 8.3 version number of the built in Tcl/Tk. Still, who knows, there could be some kind of interaction.

Lutz

jgb

Post by jgb »

I've been able to try newlisp on a Windows 98 second edition system with a single partition and unfortunately the behaviour seems identical to that on my W2000.
I'm afraid this seems to require looking at the code but to judge from the Forum activity it's certainly working on some systems.

eddier

Post by eddier »

I used to have trouble with newLISP-tk until I made a "temp" folder in c:\.
Do you have a folder c:\temp?

Eddie

jgb

Post by jgb »

I hate to reraise silly questions, but I've finally been looking briefly through the source and it looks to me as though newlisp requires a tcl/tk installation like the activestate binaries or some other compilation.

I still haven't found a definition of the lisp function tk but have just started to look for an implementation of eval.

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

for Tcl/Tk stuff lookinto the subdirectory newlisp-tk in the source distribution. newlisp-tk.exe is created using the files newlisp-tk.tcl and make-wrapped-exe.bat and an utility called freewrap from http://freewrap.sf.net. You could download freewrap also from the http://newlisp.org/download/Tools directory and try to build an empty Tcl/Tk shell with freewrap (there ar instruction show to do this).

The tk function can be found at the end of newlisp-tk.tcl, where you can find a portion of newLISP source embedded in Tcl/Tk.

Rather than trying to find unresolved Tcl/Tk dependencies, I would rather try finding out what is specific to those two systems where you tried to install (your win98 and win2k computers).

You could try to install another Tcl/Tk based application on those computers, or try to install Activestate 8.3 or 8.4 and look if Tcl/Tk runs on your computer at all (independent of newlisp-tk.exe) ? You also may have registry entries from previous outdated Tcl/Tk installations on your system?

Lutz

jgb

Post by jgb »

I installed active state on the Windows 98 computer and it seems to be functioning perfectly well.

I also tried to look at the freewrap from sourceforge but I can't unzip it on either Windows or Linux!! Makes one wonder if they know what they're doing.

Yours decompresses but I haven't yet looked at it. This seems the likely place for a source of problems since it seems very unlikely that there is anything amiss with newlisp itself.

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

Both freewrap53.zip and freewrap53.tar.gz, which are the latest stable release on Sourcerforge, unpack perfectly for me using Winzip or Tar on Linux.

Lutz

jgb

Post by jgb »

Something of a mystery about the compression. I downloaded the zlib file that freewrap recommends at the same time and encountered no problems.
I used PowerArchiver (used to be freeware) and Debian gzip and tar which refuse to recognise the file.

However, to return to newlisp. Your version of freewrap runs on my Windows 2000 system as freestanding wish with no apparent problems. I'm going to try to repack the newlisp system to see if that removes any difficulties.
This might take a bit of experimentation since your source package doesn't include the bwidget directory. I have a collection that ought to do for testing but the location in which it should be placed is not entirely clear. Perhaps it would be a good idea to include the files in proper structure in the source distribution.

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

I just uploaded BWidget-1.3.1.tar.gz into http://nuevatec.com/download/Tools/ . Just for testing you could take out '-f bwidget.txt' in the file 'make-wrapped-exe.bat' . The program line including the BWidget package in 'newlisp-tk.tcl' is commented out by default, so You don't have to touch that file when you exclude BWidgets from wrapping.

The fact that you can produce a functioning 'wish' app with freewrap tells us that at least Tcl/Tk using freewrap runs OK.

I wonder how all this is coming out and I appreciate your efforts very much in helping to find the cause of this.

Lutz

jgb

Post by jgb »

I've got the wrapping to the point that the newlisp tcl is starting to execute but I don't have the directory structure and file references correct so as soon as it tries to load the first image (openImg c. line 300) the wish console complains that it can't find /freewrap/images.

It isn't clear to me where the image and bwidget directories should be place with respect to the freewrap and newlisp tcl sources and I'm not yet clear about how the wrap files are referenced. It looks from the freewrap documentation as though these references should be absolute (sans drive letter) while the freewrap utility itself will find files listed in image.txt and bwidget.txt by relative paths.

In any case I suspect the package would all work correctly if properly wrapped. Because of the difficulities with unzipping archives, I'm wondering if there might be some problem in going from unix/linux to windows that I'm overlooking - something that is introducing an error in one or more of the compressed files. It isn't something I've encountered before this however.

-James

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

Expand frewrap5x.zip into a directory called freewrap in root of your current drive. Then put the following files and get:

c:\freewrap\newlisp-tk.tcl
c:\freewrap\images.txt
c:\freewrap\images the whole directory with contents
c:\freewrap\make-wrapped-exe.bat

you also have in there from the freewrap package expansion:

c:\freewrap\tclpip83.dll
c:\freewrap\freewrap.exe this contains alls the Tcl/Tk libs

forget about bwidget for now its already outcommented in newlisp-tk.tcl by default. If you want to wrap it too then put it as follows and edit the newlisp-tk.tcl file so the bwidget reference is not outcommented:

c:\freewrap\bwudget.txt
c:\bwidget the directory in to root of your drive

You can make different arrangements when editing images.txt and bwidget.txt.

Now in the freewrap directory execute the file make-wrapped-exe.bat

BTW, I am doing fine without drive letters and forward slashes in images.txt and bwidget.txt.

Good luck

Lutz

jgb

Post by jgb »

I have finally succeeded in wrapping the packages, apparently successfully, and newlisp-tk seems to be working properly and displaying windows on command.

I haven't yet set this up as you describe with everything to be wrapped put in a top level directory. I used a lower level directory and absolute paths in image.txt, newlisp.config, etc. I'll probably set it up properly shortly but it seems to be working this way as well.
[Incidentally, if you do much work on Windows there is a very convenient utility called CopyPath which adds some items to the Explorer context menu that allow copying to the clipboard of the short and long paths to the selected file or directory. It's obtainable through http://www.image.dk/~ninotech and is one of the most useful bits of kit I have encountered. On my system the installation, purely by .inf file, reports unsuccessful installation but it works anyway.]

The less happy news is that I downloaded the newlisp installer on another computer (Windows XP) to see whether this might make any difference and have had the same behaviour as for W98 and W2000. Seems to imply that there is something amiss with your version of the newlisp-tk exe. Perhaps wrapping it again on another computer and comparing the two files would turn up something.

I notice that in your newlisp-tk documentation you suggest looking at various books for an introduction to tcl/tk. The best introduction I've encountered is a programme called TclTutor, http://www.msen.com/~clif/TclTutor.html .

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

I am happy you finally got it working, but very curious, why the released installer does'nt work for you.

I wonder if you have the time to grep older versions of newLISP from the Sourceforge repository. This way we can find out, if something changed on the way, if older versions run on your system. At or around version 6.5.12 I changed from a Cygwin based Windows version to a natively compiled version using Borland C++ 5.5. But then again, on the Tcl/Tk part nothing substantial has changed since then, and you seem to have problems only with the Tcl/Tk frontend but not newlisp.exe itself.

On Windows I am working mostly in a Cygwin shell, that allows me to use the recursive version of the Unix copy command 'cp'.

On my computers I have not been able to reproduce the TclTk problem you are observing. Unfortunately I need to know where it broke in order to fix it :)

About the TclTk tutor, just downloaded it, seems to be very nice. Something other folks on this board could also try. I will include a link in the next doc udate.

Lutz

jgb

Post by jgb »

I ran newlisp_6314_win-tk-072 and newlisp_6523_win-tk-092 from sourceforge (earliest and next to latest) apparently with no difficulties. Since newlisp-tk 7 runs on my system after rewrapping, I think there must merely be some minor problem in the wrapped version of your distribution.

But of course my insight is not always perfect - the problem I had with decompressing freewrap from sourceforge was merely because I downloaded one of the intermediate html pages and labelled it .zip.

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

Interesting detail, I would have expected the same behaviour of the frontend in 6.5.23 and 7.0.1. What version of freewrap are you using, which produces a working version for you? I want to move to 5.4 for the next release. Freewrap 5.4 was just released a couple of days ago.

Lutz

jgb

Post by jgb »

I used the one you sent me, 5.1 I think in order to try to have a package as close to the one you used as possible.

I'll probably try 5.4 shortly.