couple simple windows questions

Machine-specific discussion
Unix, Linux, OS X, OS/2, Windows, ..?
tom

couple simple windows questions

Post by tom »

Hey guys,

what's the easiest, most direct way to start newlisp as a webserver on windows? I got it working, but it wasn't so easy or direct.

also, what does a path to somewhere look lilke? is "C:\path\to\somewhere"
right?

I just can't stand windows. I'm not sure how anybody can use it.

Thanks!

DrDave

Re: couple simple windows questions

Post by DrDave »

tom wrote: I just can't stand windows. I'm not sure how anybody can use it.
Because when you've always lived in darkness, light has no meaning. LOL
...it is better to first strive for clarity and correctness and to make programs efficient only if really needed.
"Getting Started with Erlang" version 5.6.2

m35

Post by m35 »

tom wrote:what's the easiest, most direct way to start newlisp as a webserver on windows? I got it working, but it wasn't so easy or direct.
What is the easiest most direct way to do it on Linux? On both Windows and Linux I just open a terminal window and cd to a directory then run the newlisp command to start the web server.
tom wrote:also, what does a path to somewhere look like? is "C:\path\to\somewhere" right?
Yes, that is correct. The two main differences between Linux and Windows paths are: Windows has a drive letter and ':' colon preceding the path (where Linux would have the path to where the drive was mounted preceding the path), and Windows uses '\' backslash as the separator (although in most cases you can also use '/' forward slash).

tom

Post by tom »

m35 wrote:What is the easiest most direct way to do it on Linux? On both Windows and Linux I just open a terminal window and cd to a directory then run the newlisp command to start the web server.
That's what I did, but what I'd prefer to make is a shortcut that has

newlisp.exe -c -d 80 -w C:\web

or something like it, but the "create a shortcut" thing didn't accept that as valid.

I'm giving friends a version of newlisp wiki to run as a local app, so "click and go" would be better.

Thank you for your reply.

m35

Post by m35 »

Ahh, I see.

I'm not sure where you are selecting the "Create a Shortcut".

One possible way is to do something similar to what this link describes
http://cyberst0rm.blogspot.com/2007/11/ ... rtcut.html
You can right-click and select "New->Shortcut" on the desktop, or in any directory (just make sure you're not right-clicking on an icon).

Select the Browse button to find and select where the newlisp.exe is located. This fills in the "Type the location of the item:" field with the full path to the executable. Then all you should have to do is tack on the
-c -d 80 -w C:\web
after the path (outside of quotation marks, if there are any).

When the shortcut is double-clicked, a blank terminal window will be shown while newlisp is running.

If you move the shortcut and executable together to a different path, or even to a different computer, Windows somehow figures out how to adjust the absolute path to point to the new location.

Note this is for Windows XP, and probably 2000. I'm not sure if Windows Vista does things differently.

Hope that helps.

tom

Post by tom »

ahhh, outside the quotes. I was putting that inside the quotes. I'll go and give that a try--thanks again.

xytroxon

Post by xytroxon »

I use the Abyss webserver.
http://www.aprelium.com/

It is a free small download and very easy to use and works on Windows (even Win 98), Linux, and Mac. Yet has features like an Apache server. Abyss is designed for commercial use, like for a small business. So it is well supported. The forums are really good for learning and help.

What I like is that the Abyss server comes on at power up and shuts down automatically at shut down. Also Abyss will restart on a server crash. Plus you can control IP access and bandwidth if you leave it hooked up on the net. Say if you want to use your home computer server pages from work or a friends house...

You can also use other languages like PHP, Python, Ruby etc.

You can use their Python install guide to figure out how to add newLISP.
http://www.aprelium.com/abyssws/python.html

Add newLISP as a scripting language and browse to add the interpreter:
C:\Program Files\newlisp\newlisp.exe

Don't forget the command option:
-c

Then associate extensions for newLISP, those being .cgi and .lsp (I use .nl instead of .lsp so I can try other Lisps if I every find the time or need ;)

What I love is that I don't have to open or hide a DOS window and my newLISP apps, like wiki, are always just a browser click or bookmark away on h-ttp://localhost/newlisp/wiki/

-- xytroxon

P.S. Another great windows app is Gui4Cli
http://users.hol.gr/%7Edck/g4c/

This script language (ignored by the masses like they do newLISP) makes designing Windows GUI's child's play!

Then you can make a Windows GUI that uses the Gui4Cli NET command to talk to your non html server apps.
"Many computers can print only capital letters, so we shall not use lowercase letters."
-- Let's Talk Lisp (c) 1976