newLISP tackles global warming

For the Compleat Fan
itistoday

newLISP tackles global warming

Post by itistoday »

Nice one cormullion! Top of HN too. :-)

http://unbalanced-parentheses.nfshost.c ... balwarming

Very well written actually. Are you going to eventually post what the intentional mistakes were?
Get your Objective newLISP groove on.

cormullion

Re: newLISP tackles global warming

Post by cormullion »

Thanks! Just a bit of topical fun...:/

No, I wasn't intending to publish my mistakes - they weren't very significant, and it was kind of a teaser to get people looking and thinking for themselves... :) I suppose the most obvious one is that, if you look at the source data, you'll see that some days are missing. Eg 14th May 1846. I'd used 'clean' to get rid of the '31st September' type of problems, but it was lucky rather than clever that the same code also eliminated the missing days. But is a missing value important? Should I have inserted a 'harmless' duplicate or another average... ? I just left them out, which is also wrong.

Also, the monthly averages are plotted in slightly the wrong place. How wrong is wrong, though?! :)

What's HN?

itistoday

Post by itistoday »

cormullion wrote:What's HN?
http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1167421

Mind if I copy/paste your comments here to there? It looks like most of them didn't read all the way through. :-)
Get your Objective newLISP groove on.

cormullion

Post by cormullion »

Ack! :) It was supposed to be some 'fun with newlisp', until I added a serious last para... :)

But it's cool that a post about being a critical consumer should be criticized by its consumers. I like that a lot. As long as people have fun reading/critiquing/arguing - that's why writers write.

Feel free to take anything further...!