Steampunk Dragonfly

For the Compleat Fan

TedWalther

Re: Steampunk Dragonfly

Post by TedWalther »

Kazimir, where do you get all these steampunk photos? I want to make a steampunk Bible, something that is expected to last 500 years (or more).
Cavemen in bearskins invaded the ivory towers of Artificial Intelligence. Nine months later, they left with a baby named newLISP. The women of the ivory towers wept and wailed. "Abomination!" they cried.

Kazimir Majorinc

Post by Kazimir Majorinc »

:-)

Although it might be too late for Steampunk Bible, Ted, we are blessed with Miss Prim Farlander's new invention.

TedWalther

Post by TedWalther »

Kazimir, I meant an actual Bible, but done up in steampunk style. Something designed to last 500 years or more. Something stylish, in that retro-brass-victorian look. I've already been preparing the text, which is parallel English/Latin/Greek/Hebrew. Guess I'll need to find an artist. And a license for that Adobe font that emulates fonts from the 1700's.
Cavemen in bearskins invaded the ivory towers of Artificial Intelligence. Nine months later, they left with a baby named newLISP. The women of the ivory towers wept and wailed. "Abomination!" they cried.

Kazimir Majorinc

Hey, it is quite impressive project.
Do you think about one personal copy or for production?

TedWalther

Post by TedWalther »

I'm thinking of small production run, maybe 100 or so. I'd like to use diamond and ruby and emerald dust together with some glue or binder for the artwork. And the cover should be metal, for extra stiffness. And genuine leather and gold-plating, of course.

In fact, newlisp has been ESSENTIAL in preparing the text; a preliminary cut is already available at http://lunarsabbath.ca/tetrapla.html

And a few other features; some specifically ruled and outlined pages for people to easily record changes of ownership, and a section at the back with pages specifically designed to record births, deaths, marriages, etc. In other words, 500 years from now, the book should not only be an antique, but also a family history that carries with it the record of its chain of ownership. In an easy to read format. Some big bibles have come close, but none have really done it that specifically or clearly.

The paper of course will be vellum or linen some other type of long lasting paper; for the ink I have to do reseach to find out what will last that long.

For the printing, the old Adobe font I'm thinking of, will do ALL the middle English ligatures, like ct, ch, ff, ffi, etc. For that total retro appeal. And the letter s that looks almost like an f.

For the artwork, I want something similar to the old woodcut engravings of the Geneva Bible, and the Dore woodcut engravings. Might just include both versions, but if I can find a suitable artist, might just get him to do new artwork in the style of both of those sets of drawings.

And the binding would be unique, to withstand the ages. Separate binding for each book, metal hinges, etc. Some design work has to be done to accomplish that.

Kazimir Majorinc

Again, impressive.

That Hebrew transliteration has lot of sense - it might be ten times easier to start understanding than with original Hebrew. But, what are the reactions of intended market? How did you used Newlisp?

TedWalther

Post by TedWalther »

I don't know about the intended market, apart from myself. And my reaction it, it is exactly the Bible I want to have. I have a 2-3 year timeframe for this project.

I used newlisp to take the XML/UTF8 texts in the various languages, parse it, convert them from UTF8 to neo-paleo transliteration, and then to render all four versions side by side in big HTML tables. It was a good exercise to learn newLISP.

My only regret is that there are no really complete or good Aramaic texts available for free on the internet, then I'd have 5 languages side by side instead of 4.