May 10, 2009 Stacks Menlo Park Lisp and Scheme Brunch

For the Compleat Fan
nallen05

May 10, 2009 Stacks Menlo Park Lisp and Scheme Brunch

Post by nallen05 »

Hello

There is a Lisp and Scheme bunch at Stacks at 10:45am on 2009.04.11 in Menlo Park:

http://www.stacksrestaurant.com/

It would be super cool if some newLISP hackers came and can tell us old lispers (and schemers) how cool NET-EVAL is or what exactly it is that you mean by CONS ;-)

It was decided by authoritative committee that forcing each individual lisper (or schemer) (or newLISPer) to maintain a local lookup table of the names of other lispers (and schemers) (and newLISPERS) was a waste of our aggregate cognitive resources. So thanks to considerable effort we are now supporting a new open source Nametag technology that is fully portable between different Lisp dialects (even Clojure is supported). This Nametag technology is the result of a lengthy trade study, extensive prototyping, convincing management to let us open source the code, two design reviews, at-risk funding to cover some unexpected expenses, an emergency all-hands staff meeting, input from Contracts, a successful acceptance test, and finally a quick trip to Target. Thanks.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Stacks is very busy on the weekends and strict about seating, so don't be late (or you won't get a seat) and don't show up without RSVPing to the list or calling me (email me for my #) or calling Stacks and directly PUSHNEW'ing (or ADD-TO-LIST'ing if you are an elisp hacker) yourself to the "nick" reservation.

If you find out you can come at the last minute (the same day) call me or stacks to get yourself put on the reservation, I probably won't get the email in time.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

More info at:

http://www.meetup.com/balisp/calendar/10220118/

m i c h a e l

Post by m i c h a e l »

Thanks for the invite, Nick. Alas, I don’t live close enough to attend (plus, I hardly consider myself a newLISP hacker), but I would love to see a newLISPer there as a representative of the language.

newLISP certainly doesn’t get the respect and attention it so richly deserves.

m i c h a e l

newdep

Post by newdep »

Hi Nick,

...Food and Lisp...a good mixture.

Although Im in Europe I like the idea and initiative...

Is there more information available regarding the 'NameTag Technology'
that will be discussed? (or afterwards where to find more information)..
..If availble ofcourse..

Norman.
-- (define? (Cornflakes))

cormullion

Post by cormullion »

Nice idea. It's a few thousand miles, though. Pity - I'll raise a glass instead.

Are there any newLISPers in California (which is where Menlo Park is, I gather)? I think Bob Bae lives near there (is Berkeley near?), but he's not into newLISP these days. But he was a great hacker.

("nametag technology" - there was me thinking he meant he was buying some pens and paper... perhaps I should take things more seriously,. Or perhaps I'm not clever enough to get half the jokes! :))