Can newLisp serve 250 typical webpages per second ?

For the Compleat Fan
lithper

Can newLisp serve 250 typical webpages per second ?

Post by lithper »

1. nLisp is fast.
Once I figured out perl "cheats" during "line processing" operations (perl -ne 's/a/b/g && print') by gobbling big chunks of input into memory and started to emulate this in nL, string processing speeds became equal.

This made me think of serving web pages. nL can (a) work as a standalone server for smaller applications (b) can be spawned in scores of copies because it's so light and/or (c) be dropped into a cgi-bin directory.
So as it is it's already more versatile than other languages.

newLisp, however, is unlike the "big" ones in the sense that there is no immediate way to embed it into a web server, in the manner of mod_perl or the php apache module.

2. an interesting find - and how it works
Thinking of that, I looked around and made an interesting discovery. Some lisp people several years ago (development seems to have stopped in the first half of 2005) created "mod_lisp" for Apache 2.0.x

In fact, it's much better than a lisp-specific module. It's totally generic, and any language with networking scripting capabilities could make use of it.
What the module does is make Apache, when a request comes for a URL configured to be taken care of by the module (e.g. to www.server.com/lisp/xxx.html), try to connect to a network server at its back (written in lisp, or in any other language) and running either locally, or across a network on a backend machine.

Knocking on a preconfigured port (say, 3000), the mod_lisp from Apache will send all typical web environment and data using a very simple ASCII protocol. The kind of data we know well from playing with CGI scripts.

Then the our Listener, the Lisp server, will decipher the request and send back the header and content, again, very much the way they do over regular CGI. The difference is that there is no need any longer to start a new process with all its overhead. One binary serving the connection will just loop and send the pages.
In fact, there is one well-known protocol that works exactly as described - FastCGI. The difference is that FCGI's protocol is not ASCII, so scripting for it would be a much bigger headache. FCGI is described in an RFC full of unbelievably bureaucratic lingo, etc. - but it's the same idea.

3. what i did as an experiment
As a result of this sudden fit of hacking enthusiasm I spend last Sunday trying to make mod_lisp work in the hope that nL won't let me down and compare well against 6 responses per second from CMUCL (or was it CLISP?) when serving from a MySQL database via mod_lisp, or the whopping 36/sec when the database was detached -- /figures corrected - lithper/. That's what authors of the module achieved with their big Lisps according to their measurements back in 2003.
(my test box is a 500MHz from 2000, so I would not have unjust advantage, I thought).

[.a.]. mod_lisp did not compile with current apache 2.2 In series 2.2 APR (apache API's to its libraries) changed to a new version.
Previous 2.0 is still maintained (the latest release 2.0.63 fixes a number of cross-scripting vulnerabilities), as is the old 1.3 series (latest with security fixes etc is 1.3.41)

I caught several obvious things that needed updating when attempting to port mod_lisp to 2.2, but finally, although the module compiled and passed apache checks, ver2.2.8 segfaulted with the module present. Well..

[.b.]. Then I downloaded apache 2.0.53 from 2005, figuring that the module was still alive at that time to bypass possible incompatibilities.
Now it compiled and installed itself OK

[.c.] Next I had to spend a few hours trying to understand from a very brief description the correct syntax for the protocol, reading CL lisp source of the provided samples, and experimenting with a basic setup of nL network server.
In the end, the protocol looks very simple indeed, one just needs to know what it chokes on.

So finally for a first estimation I made nL serve a 10kB web page (pure text) as a server sitting behind apache and talking to it through a socket -- in comparison to the same text being served via a light cgi script. (it basically checks the arguments, and then copies the file picking it from the filesystem; in both cases I just "cat" the file in response to a request)

4. The results as measured by "ab"
(apache bench, a small utility in apache distrbution). are as follows:

(CGI app) - nL is was light enough to serve at the rate of 50/second. It is OK - many commercial sites with LAMP architectures can achieve 6-10 in their best days, while under the load a user will have to wait for 2-3, even 5 seconds before a page appears.

(mod_lisp), a "fastCGI" for the nerd who assembles his helicopter from parts every time before he goes to fly (and calls it "the unix way"), however, somewhat surprised me. The page was delivered at consistent 250 times/second. (Of course, in real life the script will nave to do more than just spew a small file out, but..)

This is better than mod_perl, i.e. perl embedded into apache does on my machine (or at least it's the same speed; my fully enabled web app is a bit heavier, and I remember under mod_perl it ran at 80-100 responses/second on the same type of output files).

5. The problem is that the setup at this point is buggy. nLisp can fall into coma, frequently, and refuse to serve. Possibly the barebone script was not correct, and I would need to set up some request queue, or maybe it's the problem of consistency across several copies of the web server, or maybe the "fastCGI" scripts must be written in a special way, as my past experience with mod_perl and such suggests.
Update: it seems apache closed connections, so that newLisp server would try to write data nowhere, when apache limits on the number of processes and clients were not sufficient.
It seems the setup works.
NewLISP script should simply reset connection when this happens (rarely if at all) and keep listening from its standard server loop-function forever.

NewLisp serves all of the stuff amazingly fast. The totals confirm the volume is correct (i.e. no 0-length pages or error pages in the output, it seems to add up).
First Impression
My first impression is that mod_lisp, a generic simpler clone of fastCGI, should be supported and ported to the later apache releases.
And that proper server-side script should be written for nL to work in this mode. (upd: actually, the simplest standard newLisp server handles the communication OK)
It adds to the already wider set of ways to serve web pages than with other languages, and mod_lisp web interfaces in nL might prove to be a unique performer fit for higher capacity sites, both commercial or not.

Alternatively, it might be worth spending some effort on writing a FastCGI protocol server to drop into nL scripts in view of the encouraging results given by the mod_lisp ascii clone. FastCGI is supported by a large number of web servers, mega- or nano-sized, in contrast to native embedding like apache embeds perl and php
(one othe approach would be to import symbols from the reference implementation of Fast CGI C library; it would break the "standaloneness" of nL script, however, if that's important)
If this message interests readers, I'll add a brief how-to and links.

Below are two sample reports from "ab".
CGI run was 15kB - against 9.5-10kB from mod_lisp, but the rate per second was pretty much constant and consistent for the two setups.
I used the same web server in both cases, so its configuration supposedly affected both results in a similar way. It had no specific caching enabled. The test is, of course, purely informal.

1. 300 requests with concurrency of 100 - i.e. 3 seconds if the server can bear such load ideally, or longer, if it backlogs under the load. This test bears the load, but delays responses about 2 seconds already:
user@host-> ./ab -n 300 -c 100 'http://localhost/cgi-bin/scriptname.lsp ... ser=nick&f
ilename=asdf'
This is ApacheBench, Version 2.0.40-dev .............

Benchmarking localhost (be patient)
Completed 100 requests
Completed 200 requests
Finished 300 requests

Server Software: Apache/2.0.49
Server Hostname: localhost
Server Port: 80

Document Path: /cgi-bin/script.lsp?target=edit_file&arch_path=local-blogs&rss_user=nick&filename=asdf
Document Length: 15130 bytes

Concurrency Level: 100
Time taken for tests: 5.974378 seconds
Complete requests: 300
Failed requests: 0
Write errors: 0
Total transferred: 4585956 bytes
HTML transferred: 4539000 bytes
Requests per second: 50.21 [#/sec] (mean)
Time per request: 1991.459 [ms] (mean)
Time per request: 19.915 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate: 749.53 [Kbytes/sec] received

Connection Times (ms)
min mean[+/-sd] median max
Connect: 0 6 10.8 0 37
Processing: 51 1687 569.4 1915 2928
Waiting: 47 1669 559.9 1912 2608
Total: 88 1694 558.9 1915 2928

Percentage of the requests served within a certain time (ms)
50% 1915
66% 1961
75% 2003
80% 2028
90% 2079
95% 2157
98% 2441
99% 2610
100% 2928 (longest request)

user@host ->
2. same 300/100 for mod_lisp
This test bore the load easily, with 0.3-0.4 seconds per response, and that at 250 requests per second. It means the server could sustain larger loads and still provide usable delays
.user@host -> ./ab -n 300 -c 100 'http://localhost:80/lisp/index.html'
This is ApacheBench, Version 2.0.40-dev ........

Benchmarking localhost (be patient)
Completed 100 requests
Completed 200 requests
Finished 300 requests

Server Software: Apache/2.0.49
Server Hostname: localhost
Server Port: 80

Document Path: /lisp/index.html
Document Length: 9444 bytes

Concurrency Level: 100
Time taken for tests: 1.160991 seconds
Complete requests: 300
Failed requests: 0
Write errors: 0
Total transferred: 2893500 bytes
HTML transferred: 2833200 bytes
Requests per second: 258.40 [#/sec] (mean)
Time per request: 386.997 [ms] (mean)
Time per request: 3.870 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate: 2433.27 [Kbytes/sec] received

Connection Times (ms)
min mean[+/-sd] median max
Connect: 0 6 12.3 0 42
Processing: 3 316 107.7 371 399
Waiting: 0 316 107.6 369 398
Total: 45 323 95.5 371 399

Percentage of the requests served within a certain time (ms)
50% 371
66% 384
75% 385
80% 385
90% 389
95% 389
98% 390
99% 392
100% 399 (longest request)
user@host ->
Last edited by lithper on Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:05 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

Impressive analysis! Perhaps somebody can tweak the old mod_lisp for the current Apache release and distribute it. The links at fractalconcept.com seem to be dead?. How is it licensed?

Unrelated comment: nlisp is a Common Lisp extension for numerical computing. As in this thread people discuss other languages than newLISP as well, better call newLISP newlisp or newLISP and not nLisp ;-)

Cyril

Re: Can nLisp serve 250 typical webpages per second ?

Post by Cyril »

lithper wrote:Knocking on a preconfigured port (say, 3000), the mod_lisp from Apache will send all typical web environment and data using a very simple ASCII protocol. The kind of data we know well from playing with CGI scripts.
You have made me remember the old good days in 1995 and my very first web server. It was not even Apache, it was CERN httpd! Happy days of CGI scripting with perl 4.036. And yes, I have hit the same problem: script startup overhead. There was no modules in that httpd, but I've found that a CGI binary in plain C starts much faster than a perl script. But I prefer to code the logic in perl, yes? So I have invented exactly the same solution: perl daemon, listening the dedicated port, and exactly the same very simple ASCII protocol! ;-)
With newLISP you can grow your lists from the right side!

Cyril

Post by Cyril »

By the way, one of the reasons I love newlisp is the small startup time. I have a bunch of little handy scripts in my Windows working environment. They are really little and trivial and can be coded in virtually any dynamic language; and they was coded in python before I found newlisp. But the starup time of the python interpreter -- yes, it is a split of a second, but it is a noticeable split of a second. Recoding them in newlisp have made my system much more responsive, better feeling in my fingers.
With newLISP you can grow your lists from the right side!

frontera000

fcgi

Post by frontera000 »

clisp and cmucl have fastcgi support packages. they can perform better when using fcgi.

similarly nothing prevents newlisp from using libfcgi -- dynamically load FCGIAccept (or something like that) if you're worried about performance.

newlisp is so fast, i personally don't have problems just doing cgi the old fashioned way.

lithper

the setup works

Post by lithper »

frontera000 wrote:clisp and cmucl have fastcgi support packages. they can perform better when using fcgi.
Not necessarily better than under this module, although much more work went into creating fastCGI, yes
similarly nothing prevents newlisp from using libfcgi -- dynamically load FCGIAccept (or something like that) if you're worried about performance.
Yes, but - see below
newlisp is so fast, i personally don't have problems just doing cgi the old fashioned way.
It's always good to know your performance limits. CGI is not enough in many applications. Even when the user times are acceptable, server has to use much more of its resources to create output.

mod_lisp or mod_fastcgi approach puts negligible load on the web server, and the server/script can reside on a different backend machine altogether, creating flexible infrastructure.

More importantly, I seem to have traced problems with reset connections from the newlisp script-server and apache+mod_lisp to insufficient limits on number of spawned processes and connections in apache configuration.

Therefore THE SETUP WORKS, I am happy to report.
Apache version 2.0.x is current and supported (including the latest security fixes etc).

I should probably delete this verbose message and write a shorter mini-HOWTO.

Basically:
lithper micro-HOWTO outline wrote: 1. install mod_lisp into apache 2.0.x (2.0.63 latest)
2. Tell apache (when, e.g. pages under /lisp/.... are accessed) to connect to your.server.url and port - 4 lines in apache httpd.config
3. run your web application in newlisp adding one simple standard net server loop (as if enclosing your cgi script) that:
(3a) listens on the same port for apache connections, then
(3b) reads input which is the same CGI vars resent one item per line ending with "end\n"
(3b) replies to the apache-caller by sending your headers in the same format (one word per line ending with "end\n"), and next pumping yout content.
You must tell apache to "Keep\n" "1\n" (keep the connection) and declare the exact content-length to be served.
This all consistently pumps data at very high speeds, equal to those of mod_fastCGI on my machine. I have not checked more advanced configurations of mod_fastCGI or special cases where some caching and such may play major role.
The speed for a simple generated page (like echoing back the CGI environment ) which in CLISP or CMUCL, whatever it was, happened at 36/sec with the authors of mod_lisp in 2003, in newLisp seems to work at the rate of 250/sec on a computer that dates from 2000 and is probably 1.2-1.3 times faster - not 7-8 times.

Using mod_lisp -- which is GENERIC and can be used with perl, ... -- and maintaining ascii exchanges is much simpler and open to scripting than having to install special packages or script to unpack network structures to read fastCGI packets, or having to install a standalone library and deal with it.
Last edited by lithper on Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

frontera000

cool

Post by frontera000 »

glad to hear it's all working well! maybe you can post the newlisp code.