newLISP & Haskell

For the Compleat Fan
anta40

newLISP & Haskell

Post by anta40 »

I found this interesting language (newLISP) after some googling on LISP.
Well, Haskell is my first functional language and I like it a lot.

I believe each language has its own strength & weakness.
My question is, what's suited best to do in Haskell, and in newLISP ?

Fanda

Post by Fanda »

When I study new languages, I usually see what applications have been written in them.

newLISP is web-ready with many functions built-in, good for prototyping and having fun in general. Any kind of a script, which is usually written in Python/Perl/Ruby/Tcl/REBOL can be written easily. It can be embedded into applications, but license is little strict about commercial software.

Haskell is a functional language with its purity, very strong typing and other magic. I have seen mostly research-style or very specialized kind of applications (excluding text editor written recently and other things which I haven't seen :-)

Fanda

cormullion

Post by cormullion »

I like the sound of Haskell, from what little I've seen of it.

I did get the impression that it's aimed at programmers, and is quite 'advanced'. (A relative term, of course. But I know what I mean by advanced! :) You'll see phrases like 'initially confusing', 'steep learning curve', 'advanced', 'big' and so on. One day I'll have a go...

By contrast, I think that newLISP is easy to learn and use (and install!), and this allows you to ease yourself into more advanced programming concepts (functional, OOP, scope, types, whatever) etc if you've been more used to hacking your way through scripts with VB or AppleScript... There's possibily a focus on simplicity, which I like very much.

Like learning Tai Chi, learning newLISP might be a question of what you have to forget.