kozoru.com giving a boost to newLISP

Notices and updates
Lutz

kozoru.com giving a boost to newLISP

Post by Lutz »

Since several months a few people from kozoru.com are on this discussion board, trying out newLISP, watching what others think about it and are doing with it.

After evaluating newLISP for some time they decided using it to port their question-answering machine. A distributed, rather complex application which has to scale to tens of thousands of computers. They have a working prototype crafted using traditional tools, but feel they could not get the scaling, fault tolerance and resource efficiency necessary for a real world implementation.

Kozoru's founder John s. Flowers takes a very pragmatic approach to software engineering: don't get attached too much to the tools or specific computer platforms, but rather focus on the problem to solve, make things work! Their formula is newLISP, 'C' and OpenBSD. You can read more about their decision process at John's personal blog; http://www.johnsflowers.com

JSF has shown in several successful previous ventures (before Kozoru he founded nCircle and build the InQuisit system which was acquired by Ask Jeeves in 1999) that this approach leads to success and I know that many of you share his opinion.

Kozoru's project is a boost to newLISP. During the last month I spent time with the Kozoru team to teach the finer details of newLISP. This is the smartest, most dedicated team of software engineers I have met during my 17 years in Silicon Valley. Some of them have previous LISP experience, others don't. All of them quickly found their way into newLISP and some are starting to show me tricks using this tool, I didn't think about before.

I am telling this story to all of you who took the plunge into something 'new' and have not been afraid to try out something different, but rather share JSF's attitude, that it is always about focusing on the problem.

Thanks to all of you helping to bring newLISP to the level of usefulness it has today and are trusting it your software problems.

Lutz

kazemori

Post by kazemori »

Hello Lutz,

Since "kozoru" is a Japanese word, I'll offer you two more: "omedeto gozaimasu!"
(Congratulations!)

This is great news for you and the newLISP community.
(I suspect that the Kogut guy is really steaming about now ;-)

kazemori

statik

Post by statik »

I have never met anyone who did anything with that language. And if I ever do, I'll make a newlisp convert out of em.
-statik

newdep

Post by newdep »

Thats Great news !!!

As i always say --> (1(string(list((0(lambda :-))0))))

Norman.
-- (define? (Cornflakes))

rickyboy

Post by rickyboy »

Which is much, much better than what the Kogut guy says, namely:

Code: Select all

(apply pack(let((x(dup"c"3)))(cons x(let((x(unpack x":-)")))(set-nth 2x(-(x 2)1))))))
--Ricky
(λx. x x) (λx. x x)