Hurricanes

Notices and updates
eddier

Hurricanes

Post by eddier »

Lutz, with all of the hurricanes, I hope you and your family are ok. If there is anything I can help you or your family with let me know.

Eddie

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

Thanks for asking Eddie, spent most of the week cleaning up around the house. Some big trees in the neighbour hood fell down and left a lot of dirt in front/back yards and on the street. Half of Boca Raton yesterday still did not have light.

We where one of the few neighbourhoods with electricity all the time, probably because we are on a circuit with nearby hospitals.

I had planned to move internet-DSL to cable and I am glad, I didn't do it. Cable was the first thing to go and is still not back reliably. I am also thinking about switching to sattelite TV. The reliability of Adelphia cable in this area is pretty bad, not only during hurricanes.

Almost nobody worked this week because of lack of electricity and cleanup work. Schools here in Palm Beach county remained closed the whole week. Many of them had been used for shelters of evacuated people from the coastal areas. Our house is just (~1 1/2 miles) west out of the evacuation zone.

Supermarkets were just filling up when emptied out again starting yesterday with hurricane Ivan panic.

On the newLISP front: collapsed 'select'/'collect' which detect list or single index expressions automatically. Internally it was already one function with two entries, so it was not very complicated. In 8.1.6 both work the same and 'collect' will be retired some versions later. I chose 'select' because it is one letter less to type.

I will keep you updated ...

Lutz

eddier

Post by eddier »

I hope Ivan misses. I wish everyone well.

Thanks for the changes in 8.1.6.

Eddie

pjot

Post by pjot »

Hi Lutz,

I'm glad you survived Frances well. Let's hope Ivan misses Florida.

Take care,

Peter

HPW

Post by HPW »

With Jeanne the next hurricane seems to come.

Take care again
Hans-Peter