Staus of Debian/Ubuntu Packages (Ted Walther)

Notices and updates
pwhelan

Staus of Debian/Ubuntu Packages (Ted Walther)

Post by pwhelan »

Hello There, I am Phillip Whelan, a colleague of Ted.

I am just posting here today to inform people that Ted will be unavailable for quite a while, probably for an entire year. During that time he will be unable to maintain the Debian and Ubuntu Packages for NewLISP.

If anyone needs any details they can contact Rick Hanson.

Sincerely,

Phillip Whelan

cormullion

Re: Staus of Debian/Ubuntu Packages (Ted Walther)

Post by cormullion »

convey our good wishes!

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

My best wishes to Ted too.

In any case the UBUNTU-debian packages are not affected and will always be available.

TedWalther

Post by TedWalther »

I am back sooner than expected. The repository is now updated to version 10.2.6. In the next week I also hope to add packages for Ubuntu 10.4 (Lucid).

For people using the Ubuntu part of the repository, you have to edit your repository source again. In line with Ubuntu practice, I have moved the package from the Debian standard component "contrib", to the Ubuntu standard "universe". Anyone setting it up for the first time from the directions on the webpage will have no problem.

The url again is http://dpkg.reactor-core.org/
Cavemen in bearskins invaded the ivory towers of Artificial Intelligence. Nine months later, they left with a baby named newLISP. The women of the ivory towers wept and wailed. "Abomination!" they cried.

TedWalther

Post by TedWalther »

The apt-get repository for newlisp is now updated to 10.2.7. In a few hours packages for Ubuntu Lucid Lynx (10.04) should be added and supported as well.

Ted
Cavemen in bearskins invaded the ivory towers of Artificial Intelligence. Nine months later, they left with a baby named newLISP. The women of the ivory towers wept and wailed. "Abomination!" they cried.

TedWalther

Post by TedWalther »

Ubuntu Lucid Lynx is now supported by the newLISP apt-get repository. Current release being served: 10.2.7

Ted
http://dpkg.reactor-core.org/

TedWalther

Post by TedWalther »

After a few days of effort, I now have a build apparatus that lets me build native newLISP packages for 6 different operating systems on 2 different architectures (12 builds in all), with only a couple minutes of effort.

More details here: http://dpkg.reactor-core.org/

From this point on, new releases of newLISP should be available from the apt repository in almost real time.

The following architectures are supported: i386, amd64

The following operating systems are supported:

Debian squeeze
Debian lenny
Ubuntu Lucid
Ubuntu Karmic
Ubuntu Jaunty
Ubuntu Hardy

As new releases of Ubuntu and Debian are made, I will add them to the list.

On request, I will add support for any architecture that Debian or Ubuntu supports, as long as it is also supported by qemu.

Thanks to qemu and the newlisp language itself, the build process is automated.

Ted

TedWalther

Post by TedWalther »

I forgot to put this in the last post; the debian ubuntu apt repository is updated to version 10.2.14, and future releases should be in the repository shortly after their release (such as the upcoming 10.2.15)

Ted

TedWalther

Post by TedWalther »

Apt repository now updated for 10.2.16. From start to finish, the process took 40 minutes. I imagine if I parallelized it it would be quicker, but for now, I'll leave it be.

joejoe

Post by joejoe »

I am a caveman and certainly lack most all my newfound artifical intelligence, but

I wonder if it is in scope to make newlisp a package in the Debian and Ubuntu main (native) repositiories?

I would think this will add a *lot* of interest and participation in the project.

Code: Select all

apt-cache search lisp

would call interested parties.

Am I correct to guess it simply requires an avid volunteer to support the package w/ Debian and Ubuntu?

kindmoji

Post by kindmoji »

Dear friend,

I suppose you are absolutely right.

They should put newlisp on main ubuntu repository .

Best regards,

TedWalther

Post by TedWalther »

That would be lovely. Are you able to take this on?

TedWalther

Post by TedWalther »

It took a while, but the Ubuntu and Debian repository for newLISP is back online, and serving version 10.3.1.

Obsolete Ubuntu releases Jaunty Jackalope and Karmic Koala are no longer supported. New release Natty Narwhal is supported.