Cormullion, newLISP Bayesian Comment Spam Killer (blog post)

Notices and updates
Kazimir Majorinc

Cormullion, newLISP Bayesian Comment Spam Killer (blog post)

Post by Kazimir Majorinc »

Cormullion is too modest to promote his articles, but this might be good place for every NL related link, people like alive communities poll said. Two questions:
  1. (1) Cormullion, we have only one way to read your old posts at the moment - random. Is it right?
    (2) Cormullion and others, do you get lot of spam on your blog? I never got one (on blogspot com).
Last edited by Kazimir Majorinc on Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

cormullion

Re: Cormullion, newLISP Bayesian Comment Spam Killer (blog post)

Post by cormullion »

:) I suppose I'm hoping that RSS/Atom is sufficient to provide anyone interested with news of more of my scribblings.

You can read specific posts if you know the post-id. Or you can use the search box. The search function needs a lot more work (it's neither reliable nor bullet-proof) but it generates some results, at least for now. Search for 'html' to get every HTML-formattted post and every non-HTML post which mentions that abbreviation (so that finds all of them). Or search for 'a' or 'the' or 'I'! The search text is (I think) a regular expression search. To find posts submitted after 23:00, try 'T23:'. :)

During the time I kept the comments form open, I received over 500 comments, and about 18 were genuine. I think Blogger and Wordpress have big powerful spam-detection systems, and many also provide user authentication and stuff too. One of the reasons for writing your own blogging app is that you get a chance to learn about these things for yourself, but it's obviously a disadvantage in some ways when you don't get all these luxuries built in.

By the way, the spam detector used to operate in real time - the database was built afresh and used every time a comment was submitted. I was going to add some caching but never got round to it. But the few seconds weren't noticeable by users though...

xytroxon

Post by xytroxon »

cormullion wrote::) I suppose I'm hoping that RSS/Atom is sufficient to provide anyone interested with news of more of my scribblings.
At last count, I monitor 316 rss feeds, yours might just get lost ;)

I would hope that you (or anyone), would post at least a title and link to any new (or old) blog articles... That way, real comments could be posted and discussed here in the forum...

Maybe Ryon could add blog articles to:
------------------------------------------------------
newLISP in the real world
Q&A's, tips, howto's, blog articles
------------------------------------------------------

Good info in the article by the way :)

-- xytroxon
"Many computers can print only capital letters, so we shall not use lowercase letters."
-- Let's Talk Lisp (c) 1976

Ryon

Post by Ryon »

How about the What can you DO with it forum?

xytroxon

Post by xytroxon »

Ryon wrote:How about the What can you DO with it forum?
Yeah, and maybe change the title wording to an even more positive voice ;p)

What you CAN DO with newLISP
3rd party apps, modules, blog articles

or

All the COOL things you CAN DO with newLISP!!!
3rd party apps, modules, blog articles

-- xytroxon
"Many computers can print only capital letters, so we shall not use lowercase letters."
-- Let's Talk Lisp (c) 1976