Unboxing after the move

Notices and updates
Ryon

Unboxing after the move

Post by Ryon »

We are successfully running on our new web host, and have upgraded the system software. Whew! Two unresolved issues that are in my 'round-tuit' basket are enabling emails thru this mail server, and setting up an RSS feed. I'll get a round tuit someday.

But now it is time to arrange things the way we want them in our new home. I've created some new categories, and have moved many of your posts around. newLISP for Win and newLISP for *n?x are now newLISP and the O.S., and I'm carving newLisp Main Discussion into newLISPhilosophy, Nuts & Bolts, and How do I?, and adding the vital So, what can you DO with newLISP?

What do you think so far?

itistoday

Re: Unboxing after the move

Post by itistoday »

Ryon wrote:We are successfully running on our new web host, and have upgraded the system software. Whew! Two unresolved issues that are in my 'round-tuit' basket are enabling emails thru this mail server, and setting up an RSS feed. I'll get a round tuit someday.

But now it is time to arrange things the way we want them in our new home. I've created some new categories, and have moved many of your posts around. newLISP for Win and newLISP for *n?x are now newLISP and the O.S., and I'm carving newLisp Main Discussion into newLISPhilosophy, Nuts & Bolts, and How do I?, and adding the vital So, what can you DO with newLISP?

What do you think so far?
I think it's great that you're reorganizing things, it gives us an opportunity to create a clear layout for where new posts should go.

May I make the following suggestions:

Currently there is no consistent theme among the forums, which I think will lead to confusion, as a lot of the forums seem to have overlapping interests (such as newLisp Main Discussion, newLISPhilosophy, So, what can you actually DO with newLISP?, Anything else we might have forgotten).

Some of the forums, on the other hand, do seem to have fairly mutually exclusive topics: newLISP and the OS, newLISP Graphics & Sound, newLISPhilosophy, newLISP news.

I think we should strive for the smallest number of forums that results in no overlapping in topics.

As such may I suggest:
  • Merging "newLISP for Win" and "newLISP for *nix" into "newLISP and the OS"
  • Removing the "How do I?" forum as the other topic forums already serve that purpose
  • Merging "Anything else we might have forgotten", "newLISP Nuts & Bolts" and "newLISP Philosophy" into "newLISP Main Discussion"
  • Renaming "So, what can you actually DO with newLISP?" to "newLISP Modules and Frameworks"
Get your Objective newLISP groove on.

Ryon

Post by Ryon »

We agree on merging "newLISP for Win" and "newLISP for *nix" into "newLISP and the OS". And I started putting all the non-OS posts I found in those topics into "Main discussion".

But I think "main discussion" is too broad, so i split that into the new topics that you see, and also created "What can you DO with it". I think this last will be very important in promoting the language. After all, you'll need some practical uses before you even care about the details. "Anything else" is my favorite, and it stays! Where else could I post my tallship photos? (And most of the posts in there need be moved to the more appropriate topics listed above).

My depreciating two cents worth. Come back with your thoughts!

cormullion

Post by cormullion »

Couldn't do without the forum - although an RSS would be nice one day...

My suggestions:
  • - forum admin and meta (like this thread)
    - news and announcements (just releases etc)
    - feature requests and language grouses (why can't we ...)
    - help wanted - beginners through intermediate (I can't work out how to ..)
    - general newLISP discussion (everything not covered above)
    - newLISP and the OS (windows and unix woes)
    - Guiserver (I remember that ...)
    - anything else (other languages, ships, kazimir's weird pictures ... etc :-)

(don't like the sound of philosophy btw!)

m35

Post by m35 »

I like the idea of a forum made for posting your modules, scripts, and functions.

But overall I think I'd prefer fewer forums (more like the old arrangement).

Kazimir Majorinc

Post by Kazimir Majorinc »

My proposal:

1. News and announcements (official and unofficial)
2. Discussions and support
3. Bug reports
===
4. Newlisp and Windows
5. Newlisp and Unix
6. Newlisp and Mac OS
7. Dragonfly
===
8. Not NL specific (meta, programming, off topic)

itistoday

Post by itistoday »

I second Kazimir's proposal, that is close to perfect for me. :-)
Get your Objective newLISP groove on.

m35

Post by m35 »

My proposal ;)

1. Official newLISP releases, official announcements (& related bugs)
2. Modules, Scripts, & functions (releases, questions, bugs)
... General
... 2a. Dragonfly
3. Questions and discussion (& possible bugs)
... General
... 3a. GUI server specific
... 3b. Linux specific
... 3c. Mac specific
... 3d. Windows specific
4. Not NL specific (meta, programming, off topic)