newLISP development release v.10.0.8

Post by Lutz »

• improvements in 'dotree', 'int' and 'pack' functions
• fixes and additions in newlip-edit in newLISP-GS
• syntax.cgi and newlispdoc now color newLISPdoc tags too

for files and CHANGES notes see: http://www.newlisp.org/downloads/development/

TedWalther

Post by TedWalther »

I notice in the comments you are getting ready for a 1.1 release. Is that coming soon? OpenBSD just had their hackathon, so I have another month or so to submit a port for possible inclusion in the 4.6 release.

Ted

unixtechie

Hickup on Linux

Post by unixtechie »

Compilation of 10.0.8 on Slackware 12

Code: Select all

"make linux_utf8" (or make -f makefile_linux_utf8) 
fails with the default invocation in this makefile at the linking stage.

bash-3.1$ make -f makefile_linux_utf8 
gcc -m32 -Wall -pedantic -Wno-strict-aliasing -Wno-long-long -c -O2 -g -DREADLINE -DSUPPORT_UTF8 -DLINUX newlisp.c
gcc -m32 -Wall -pedantic -Wno-strict-aliasing -Wno-long-long -c -O2 -g -DREADLINE -DSUPPORT_UTF8 -DLINUX pcre.c
gcc newlisp.o nl-symbol.o nl-math.o nl-list.o nl-liststr.o nl-string.o nl-filesys.o nl-sock.o nl-import.o nl-xml.o nl-web.o nl-matrix.o nl-debug.o nl-utf8.o pcre.o -m32 -g -lm -ldl -lreadline -o newlisp
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.2.3/../../../libreadline.so: undefined reference to `PC'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.2.3/../../../libreadline.so: undefined reference to `tgetflag'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.2.3/../../../libreadline.so: undefined reference to `tgetent'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.2.3/../../../libreadline.so: undefined reference to `UP'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.2.3/../../../libreadline.so: undefined reference to `tputs'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.2.3/../../../libreadline.so: undefined reference to `tgoto'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.2.3/../../../libreadline.so: undefined reference to `tgetnum'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.2.3/../../../libreadline.so: undefined reference to `BC'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.2.3/../../../libreadline.so: undefined reference to `tgetstr'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [default] Error 1
However commenting the default line for the target and uncommenting the one with "-lncurses" produces a success.

default: $(OBJS)
#       $(CC) $(OBJS) -m32 -g -lm -ldl -lreadline -o newlisp
#       $(CC) $(OBJS) -m32 -g -lm -ldl -lreadline -ltermcap -o newlisp
        $(CC) $(OBJS) -m32 -g -lm -ldl -lreadline -lncurses -o newlisp
#       $(CC) $(OBJS) -m32 -g -lm -ldl -o newlisp
        strip newlisp
It may be other Linux distributions were OK with the default, or the reason might be in something else.

P.S. It's probably not worth it for newlisp (as Linux is Linux and newlisp is pretty generic), but testing several different distributions can be done via LiveCDs. A distro on a LiveCD (a veru popular thingy recently) loads into memory and plays from memory and the CD. This allows one to mount a partition with the software and test without polluting a hard drive with a full-scale installation.
This may be obvious, of course, and not qualify as a real tip. Then just ignore it.

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

Unfortunately many Linux distributions are different on this. At this point I am only shipping everything setup for making on UBUNTU Linux, but I can include a comment in makefile_linux.

I know there are life distributions available but many of them don't have gcc installed or the libreadline5-dev installed, all of them would also need the original Sun Java JRE 1.5. So a life CD doesn't help me much without these things.

But a bigger reason is that I am missing the time. Preparing (testing) for the existing flavors is enough.

These are the systems I am currently running the basic test suite:

Mac OS X (Intel and PPC Tiger and Pyhton 32 and 64 bit versions)
FreeBSD 32 bit
OpenBSD 64 bit
Sparc Solaris
UBUNTU Linux 32 bit (on VirtualBox under Mac OS X)
Windows XP SP2 32 bit (on VirtualBox under Mac OS X)

On Linux I am also doing memory allocation testing (on mayor releases).

If anybody makes packages for other flavors I am happy to link to it and put them on the download page. Ted Walther is trying to put newLISP in into an upcoming OpenBSD distribution.

For FreeBSD, Stanislav Sedov already has been doing it and it always seems to be up to date:

http://portsmon.freebsd.org/portovervie ... me=newlisp

newdep

Post by newdep »

Im on my way of porting newLisp to the Nokia N810 internet PDA.
Its a linux based PDA. Ill keep you posted with screenshots and progress.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N810
-- (define? (Cornflakes))