Articles disappearing from the newLISP Wiki

Notices and updates
Ryon

Articles disappearing from the newLISP Wiki

Post by Ryon »

cormullion reports that some articles have disappeared from the Http://alh.net/newlisp/wiki/ site. I think it's because they were not password protected. The easy way to do this is to always place a

Code: Select all

[protected:psilwen]
at bottom of your Wiki postings.

If your article is missing from the Wiki, please repost! And if anyone can shed more light on these strange disappearances, please let me know.

cormullion

Post by cormullion »

Does that mean that someone deleted them, or just that every page must be password-protected or it somehow expires....?

Ryon

Post by Ryon »

I was able to repost your article from the backup. There was no password on the file, so I am supposing that your article was erased by the same Forces of Evil that post the trash messages in the Comment section of the Home page.

Articles posted to the newLISP Fan Club Wiki do not expire, and they are not censored or taken down without a darned good reason. But remember, this is a Wiki, and the entire world is able to trash anything that is not protected by a password.

This would be my first guess--and I hope that it's right--it has such an easy solution! :-)

Just add

to the bottom of your post.

cormullion

Post by cormullion »

OK! Thanks a lot. I didn't do the protected business so that might explain why things disappear.

cheers

m35

Post by m35 »

Hi Ryon,

Is it possible that the wiki is suffering from the infamous Spider of Doom or Google's Spider of Death? It's a problem that can be fixed by Using forms rather than links to perform actions.
Last edited by m35 on Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ryon

Post by Ryon »

Good heads-up, m35, but can the Spider of Death truly be infamous if I've never heard of it?

Probably so!

I see a few de-linked articles in the Wiki's Index. The ones I've looked at did not have their pages password protected. It should be easy to re-list them on the Home page, and add a

line to keep this from happening again.

All newLISP Fan Club Fans are fully-fledged nLFC Wiki Editors as well, and have full authority to do all those important things that editors do.

Hint, hint.

:-)

cormullion

wiki spams

Post by cormullion »

I wrote a script that deleted (or rather, re-cast) the spam comments on the nL-fc wiki. Obviously I didn't write anything to check whether the comment was spam or not (I wish I was that good a programmer, although it probably isn't too hard). I devised a sneaky way to manually mark the comments I thought were genuine, and then run the script on the modified text.

Personally I think making the spammer's IP address public is fair game, but perhaps others would disagree... ?

On the Noodles wiki, some idiot is creating new pages - I can delete the content, but I can't see how to delete the pages...