Dragonfly - a web framework for newLISP

A web framework in newLISP

Dragonfly - a web framework for newLISP

Postby hilti » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:51 am

Hi newLISPER,

a week ago I started my project "Dragonfly". Now there's something to show, so it needs his own topic.

Currently Dragonfly (version 0.06) includes the following features

- generating HTML tables from lists
- generate several HTML tags (e.g. image, script, rss)
- a sliding panel with debugging information
- a very simple page-controller
- some basic functions for form generation

You can download on Google Code
http://code.google.com/p/dragonfly-newlisp/

I'd like to hear comments, feedback, ideas - just feel free to do.

Cheers
Marc aka Hilti
--()o Dragonfly web framework for newLISP
http://dragonfly.uberberg.com
hilti
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Hannover, Germany

Postby cormullion » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:56 pm

It's cool!

Am I supposed to be picking up the css styles? I'm seeing the plain old Times on white background...
cormullion
 
Posts: 2037
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:28 pm
Location: latiitude 50N longitude 3W

Postby hilti » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:55 pm

cormullion, feel free to do so.

I just added a twitter search function including the generation of some nice bubbles.
Here's a screenshot

Image

Oh - rest in peace Michael Jackson!


Dragonfly 0.08 is updated on Google Code.
--()o Dragonfly web framework for newLISP
http://dragonfly.uberberg.com
hilti
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Hannover, Germany

Postby ale870 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:47 am

It is very interesting!
Thank you! I will check it as soon as possible (I think it contains a big potential!)
--
ale870
 
Posts: 297
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: Italy

Postby ale870 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:51 am

A note: carefully check the name of your framework, since Opera Browser has a debugger called "Dragonfly".
See here:

http://www.opera.com/dragonfly/

You could have problems from Opera company... since because they are in a similar working area: web...
--
ale870
 
Posts: 297
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: Italy

Postby hilti » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:04 pm

ale870 wrote:A note: carefully check the name of your framework, since Opera Browser has a debugger called "Dragonfly".
See here:

http://www.opera.com/dragonfly/

You could have problems from Opera company... since because they are in a similar working area: web...


Hi,

I think the name "Dragonfly web framework" shouldn't get me into trouble. because there are a lot of projects or companies which include the name "Dragonfly" like "Dragonfly BSD", "Dragonfly Webdesign", "Dragonfly CMS" ...

Are there any lawyers in this forum who may help?

Best Regards and I hope You like my project. Version 0.10 is coming soon!!

hilti
--()o Dragonfly web framework for newLISP
http://dragonfly.uberberg.com
hilti
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Hannover, Germany

Postby hilti » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:28 pm

I love the speed of newLISP!!!

Check out this picture in my blog post:
http://dragonfly-newlisp.blogspot.com/2 ... wlisp.html
--()o Dragonfly web framework for newLISP
http://dragonfly.uberberg.com
hilti
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Hannover, Germany

Postby ale870 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:58 pm

Yes I agrree with you, newList is very fast!
In fact I'm using it as scripting language for a new 2d game engine I'm creating!
--
ale870
 
Posts: 297
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: Italy

Postby cormullion » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:54 pm

unbalanced-parentheses is now running Dragonfly, although just serving up random posts from the archive at the moment. It's working, but only just!

Just one thing I had to change - weird, this one.

In web.lsp:

Code: Select all
(define headers '(("Content-type" "text/html")))


didn't work. But:

Code: Select all
(define headers '(("Content-Type" "text/html")))


did. Must be some FreeBSD thing...

Jeff and Hilti: thanks for your efforts!
cormullion
 
Posts: 2037
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:28 pm
Location: latiitude 50N longitude 3W

Postby m35 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:41 pm

hilti wrote:
ale870 wrote:A note: carefully check the name of your framework, since Opera Browser has a debugger called "Dragonfly".
See here:

http://www.opera.com/dragonfly/

You could have problems from Opera company... since because they are in a similar working area: web...

I think the name "Dragonfly web framework" shouldn't get me into trouble. because there are a lot of projects or companies which include the name "Dragonfly" like "Dragonfly BSD", "Dragonfly Webdesign", "Dragonfly CMS" ...

Fans of a certain web site that would humorously respond to weekly emails might enjoy a slight name change to "Dagronfly" (I said consummate v's! Consummate!)
m35
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:54 pm
Location: Carifornia

Postby hilti » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:18 pm

WOW! So great to see it working on Your website.

hilti
--()o Dragonfly web framework for newLISP
http://dragonfly.uberberg.com
hilti
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Hannover, Germany

Postby ale870 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:43 pm

m35 wrote:
hilti wrote:
ale870 wrote:A note: carefully check the name of your framework, since Opera Browser has a debugger called "Dragonfly".
See here:

http://www.opera.com/dragonfly/

You could have problems from Opera company... since because they are in a similar working area: web...

I think the name "Dragonfly web framework" shouldn't get me into trouble. because there are a lot of projects or companies which include the name "Dragonfly" like "Dragonfly BSD", "Dragonfly Webdesign", "Dragonfly CMS" ...

Fans of a certain web site that would humorously respond to weekly emails might enjoy a slight name change to "Dagronfly" (I said consummate v's! Consummate!)


Hello @m35, but are you referring to me when you say "Fans of a certain web site that would humorously respond to weekly emails" ?!
--
ale870
 
Posts: 297
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: Italy

Postby cormullion » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:49 pm

(See sbemail)

Hilti - I'm looking at dragonfly v12 now!

If you made Dragonfly:listener able to accept single queries such as "www.example.com/?teststring", then could I use .htaccess mod_rewrite to redirect URIs of the form "www.example.com/teststring" to "www.example.com/?teststring"? Not quite sure about your 'action' yet...

Cheers!
cormullion
 
Posts: 2037
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:28 pm
Location: latiitude 50N longitude 3W

Postby hilti » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:03 pm

cormullion wrote:If you made Dragonfly:listener able to accept single queries such as "www.example.com/?teststring", then could I use .htaccess mod_rewrite to redirect URIs of the form "www.example.com/teststring" to "www.example.com/?teststring"? Not quite sure about your 'action' yet...


Hi!

Using htaccess mod_rewrite should be possible, but I didn't test it, because I just use newLISP as a webserver at the moment.

The "action" idea is about simulating something like a REST Interface, because newLISP always returns the 200 status code in CGI mode. Maybe I'm not finding the right switch ...

An "action" can be something like

/customer/show/1
/customer/findall
/customer/delete/1

You know what I mean?

cheers
hilti
--()o Dragonfly web framework for newLISP
http://dragonfly.uberberg.com
hilti
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Hannover, Germany

Postby Lutz » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:42 pm

because newLISP always returns the 200 status code in CGI mode. Maybe I'm not finding the right switch ...


You can force a different status code and text using the "Status: ..." directive from the CGI specification. This is described here:

http://www.newlisp.org/downloads/CodePa ... tml#toc-22

in the sub chapter: "CGI processing in HTTP mode"
Lutz
 
Posts: 5232
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2002 4:45 pm
Location: Pasadena, California

Postby m35 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:56 pm

ale870 wrote:Hello @m35, but are you referring to me when you say "Fans of a certain web site that would humorously respond to weekly emails" ?!

Ah no sorry ale870. I was making a (perhaps too obscure) reference to a bit of internet culture/humor. cormullion seems to have picked up on it and provided an informative link. :)

cormullion wrote:(See sbemail)
m35
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:54 pm
Location: Carifornia

Postby ale870 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:28 pm

Sorry m35 for my misunderstanding!
--
ale870
 
Posts: 297
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: Italy

Postby hilti » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:36 am

Just a short notice: Dragonfly version 0.17 is out!

Dragonfly 0.17 provides some cool functions for auto-loading modules and custom helpers. Just put them into the specified directories "helpers-active" or "modules-active" and Dragonfly loads them on startup.

This way the Dragonfly web framework keeps small and efficient. You just load what You need.

Download it now and have fun!
http://code.google.com/p/dragonfly-newl ... loads/list

Image
--()o Dragonfly web framework for newLISP
http://dragonfly.uberberg.com
hilti
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Hannover, Germany

Postby ale870 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:45 am

In these days I'm starting to work with Dojo framework, a language-independent AJAX client (one of the most famous). It is open source. See here:

http://www.dojotoolkit.org/

Since it is language independent, it means it can be used even from newLisp...

So I think you could start to introduce such framework (or another one) instead producing pure html.
Dojo works in xml and json (and newLisp can do that very well).
I think in this way to could give a BIG improvement to your framework (and a lot of work is done, since Dojo is stable and really well done!).
--
ale870
 
Posts: 297
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: Italy

Postby newdep » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:50 pm

On itself those kits are nice like http://qooxdoo.org/..
but a big disadvantgage I encountered is the speed and browser
compatibility...But they sure do have nice widgets ;-)
-- (define? (Cornflakes))
newdep
 
Posts: 2019
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:40 pm
Location: Netherlands

Postby ale870 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:51 pm

Try to use Dojo (check the demos). There is a delay on first usage (download javascript: about 130kb) but the system is really responsive.
--
ale870
 
Posts: 297
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: Italy

Postby hilti » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:43 pm

ale870 wrote:Try to use Dojo (check the demos). There is a delay on first usage (download javascript: about 130kb) but the system is really responsive.


Hi Alessandro,

the Dojo Toolkit is really impressive. Although I like fancy AJAX-Stuff, drag & drop and those things I'm a bit aware of these bloated libraries. They're like MS Excel or Word where users just utilize 10% of the whole software.

Think about what users really need: isn't it a fast loading website, an interface/design which runs on mobiles like the iPhone too, content which is accessible by search engine bots.

If You try to load 130kb via Edge on a Mobile ... users will quit before they read Your first headline. And making things worse: most of the cool JS-Stuff won't really work in a touch environment like the iPhone.

cheers
Marc
--()o Dragonfly web framework for newLISP
http://dragonfly.uberberg.com
hilti
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Hannover, Germany

dragonfly web framework license

Postby joejoe » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:34 pm

hi hilti - looks like really cool code you've released.

im curious to know why you chose the mit license instead of the license that newlisp uses, the gpl? any chance you might consider the gpl for future releases?

thanks in any case! - :0)
joejoe
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:09 pm

Postby TedWalther » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:01 pm

How about the two-clause BSD license?
TedWalther
 
Posts: 585
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:04 am
Location: Abbotsford, BC

Postby cormullion » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:30 pm

just out of interest, what's the difference between the suggested licences?
cormullion
 
Posts: 2037
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:28 pm
Location: latiitude 50N longitude 3W

Next

Return to Dragonfly

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest