2D game engine with newLisp

Q&A's, tips, howto's
newdep

Re: 2D game engine with newLisp

Post by newdep »

..Ofcourse we do need 2D games... a game is a game and every game is different.

You could ask yourself 'why' youre doing it though?..

And then there are ofcourse loads of alternative consoles... Personaly I hate games on a phone,
on the Ipad..its more like..Mooaahh... but behind a full console wide-screen setup..let them come ;-)

Creating games is a very good learning curve... Hacking, faster, better coding.. being creative..etc..

I would say..try and finish the development of your game, that itself is already a hightscore ;-)
-- (define? (Cornflakes))

xytroxon

Post by xytroxon »

If you enjoy doing it, and learn something from doing it, then it is worth doing.

If it is a chore, and becomes a burden, then don't do it.

This is known in popular culture as "following your bliss".

Currently, I would have no interest in this project. But I could have a future interest if the project is done well and is compelling. But...

I am wary of investing my time and my money in non-open source software like Blitzmax, regardless of the license. (I have a file cabinet full of commercial "abandon-ware" that I paid for and can not now use. (I do not need anymore ;0) As an example, Rebol seemed like a great professionally done language with it's built in GUI functions, clean functional syntax, great website, active community of users, etc. But the author of Rebol has gone missing for some 14 months now! Not a word from him. His proprietary core software is in limbo and in an unfinished state. His users are angry and disillusioned! Also, what Oracle is now trying to do with Java licensing has me concerned as well. The Nokia abandons QT gui mess. Etc. etc. etc.

Another problem, is attracting "gamers" to use your newLISP code. newLISP is hard to "grok" for the younger "gamer" mind brought up on school taught mathematics. Hence, BASIC like languages are de rigueur in these programming areas. These level of programmers want to blow up Klingons, not wrestle with the lambda calculus.

Some people enjoy freestyle mountain climbing, some people enjoy climbing mountains with the security of ropes and safety gear, however, the fact is most people are scared of heights and will never climb a mountain - no matter how easy it is made for them to do so! (Even with a newLISP rocket powered backpack ;o)

The current popular trend (or fad) wants HTML 5 / CSS 3 / Javascript to be your next gaming engine on mobile devices. Desktops, even laptops, are becoming obsolete in the mass popular market. Protected mobile devices limit the choice of "safe" programming languages that can be used on them. So having newLISP available on these devices is not a guarantee.

Besides... Who can argue with all of those happy "Angry Birds" users?

-- xytroxon

P.S. I just found out (proprietary software) Opera has announced it is dropping Widgets (Stand alone Opera guis running HTML / CSS / Javascript based apps). Looks like browser page only apps are the future! So much for my time wasted writing Widget code!
"Many computers can print only capital letters, so we shall not use lowercase letters."
-- Let's Talk Lisp (c) 1976

ale870

Post by ale870 »

Thank you guys.
I like rebol also.
Thank you for the comments.
--

winger

Post by winger »

MAY BE YOU CAN WRITE A WEB GAME Engine ?
I look forward ...
Welcome to a newlisper home:)
http://www.cngrayhat.org

ale870

Post by ale870 »

--