pcre instructions

Q&A's, tips, howto's
jsampson2

pcre instructions

Post by jsampson2 »

Returning to this subject, I believe the version of PCRE in Newlisp is 5, dated 2004. But the manual simply refers the reader
to the PCRE website, which will give instructions for the current version of PCRE. Will this not be misleading? PCRE has changed a good deal since 2004, I think.

Regards

_John Sampson_

Lutz

Re: pcre instructions

Post by Lutz »

I always have been following the new PCRE release but haven't found anything which made me think, that an update to a later version is necessary. Later versions are also substantially bigger and only add very esoteric features. At version 5 PCRE had already been around several years and already was in use by major OpenSource projects, e.g. Apache and PHP. If any feature arises deemed to be important I am ready for integration. The last version, I tried was 7, currently they are at 8.

jsampson2

Post by jsampson2 »

I was really raising a point about the NewLISP manual. Referring the reader
to the PCRE website via a hyperlink implies that the version of PCRE in
NewLISP is the one described at the PCRE website - the current version.
Or have I missed something?

Regards

_John Sampson_

m35

Post by m35 »

Wow, it seems like we've been having a lot more newcomers to the forums these days. Awesome :D

Thanks for the observation John. Just searching through the current online manual for 'PCRE', I didn't notice any version number mentioned. I agree it might be worthwhile to include some added clarification on that point.