Wiki software: Saving pages and running setup utility

Q&A's, tips, howto's
joejoe

Wiki software: Saving pages and running setup utility

Post by joejoe »

Hi -

I chmodded 777 the pages and backup folders in the newlisp wiki software but any changes I make with the Edit button at page bottom are not having effect. If I manually edit the pages from the command line, the page shows the changes.

I havent changed anything other than chmodding these folders and making the software find newlisp in colors.cgi, index.cgi and rss.cgi.

Also, when I go to edit the setup.lsp via web browser, it gives this error when I try to save:

ERR: problem saving file in function save : "pages/setup.lsp"

Anyone else have this same experience or know why page changes and setup utility are not completing? Thanks very much!

One last strange thing: when I tar zxvf the newlisp wiki folder, all the files in the pages folder have the wierd ^M at the end of every line. I typically have only seen this when using unzip withouth the -e flag. thanks again! :0)

cormullion

Post by cormullion »

I would imagine this is a permissions problem. You could try playing with the permissions: I got that error until I changed permissions on pages/setup.lsp. The .htaccess files are also contributing to the security...

tom

Post by tom »

How are you running the wiki? with a server like apache or with newlisp? With apache I think you have to change the ownership of files as well as the permission. Running locally with newlisp, I haven't had to mess with either.

joejoe

Post by joejoe »

Thanks for the replies!

cormullion: It was permissions. I chmodded 777 setup.lsp and it saves fine.

tom: Im running it w/ apache and the ownerships/permissions created through the wiki are different, as you mentioned. Im now guessing that running the wiki w/ newlisp as the server would be faster and simpler?

Im hosting with nearlyfreespeech.net and I downloaded the software w/ wget and extracted it w/ tar and it put my username as the owner of all the files, whereas when I create a page through the wiki, it gives the owner as user 25000 with a permission of 664.

Im guessing I should change all the pages(/files?) to owner 2500 and set permissions to 664?

Thanks again to both for clarifying what was occurring.

cormullion

Post by cormullion »

nfs do something weird to the permissions - this is after the security problem last month. Not sure what it is - haven't investigated because my site still appears to work... :) Might be a good idea to ask nfs support before they start charging you for advice... :)

tom

Post by tom »

before they start charging you for advice... :)
too late...

TedWalther

Post by TedWalther »

I'm also having a problem running newlisp under apache2, using my own server.

http://reactor-core.org/georgegordon/search?q=nuclear

Should show the problem. Just before the start of the table, the query "nuclear" should be displayed.

* Sometimes it is
* sometimes it just shows up as (null)
* sometimes there is no output at all.

This makes no sense. Also, the text "(null)" always gets appended to the output. Very wierd.

I am using mod_layout, which appends a footer (Back to the Reactor Core) to every page, so even the empty pages will have that, but it comes from apache, not newlisp.

The source is here:

http://reactor-core.org/georgegordon/search.lsp

Am I doing something wrong? Is it a newlisp bug? I've tried doing (println (env) CGI:params) and sometimes I get the relevant info, sometimes not. And the search of the list never seems to work, but it works from the command line.

I am using newLISP 10.1.4

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

Your file works reliably on nfshost:

http://www.newlisp.org/search.cgi?q=nuclear

perhaps something with the Apache configuration?

TedWalther

Post by TedWalther »

Lutz wrote:Your file works reliably on nfshost:

http://www.newlisp.org/search.cgi?q=nuclear

perhaps something with the Apache configuration?
Thanks Lutz. I disabled mod_layout for that one URI and now it works reliably every time. Thanks for testing!

Ted