Request: dolist to work on arrays as well as lists

Pondering the philosophy behind the language
TedWalther

Request: dolist to work on arrays as well as lists

Post by TedWalther »

Lutz, could you enable array support in dolist? I'm using 2.6.0; if this has been changed in later versions, disregard.

Edit:

And yes, I see the array-list function. Is there a technical reason why it is better to explicitly do an array conversion, rather than iterating over the array directly?
Cavemen in bearskins invaded the ivory towers of Artificial Intelligence. Nine months later, they left with a baby named newLISP. The women of the ivory towers wept and wailed. "Abomination!" they cried.

rickyboy

Re: Request: dolist to work on arrays as well as lists

Post by rickyboy »

. . . rather than iterating over the array directly?
You can use `for` to iterate over an array directly. But I assume you know that already. Sorry. I don't know what you are trying to do, but I am curious. Good to see you, Ted.
(λx. x x) (λx. x x)

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

One could see an advantage of making dolist work on arrays in some cases, that you wouldn’t have to specify the max N for a dotimes, while or for loop and expressions somehow are simpler because no indexing takes place:

Code: Select all

(dolist (e L)
	(println $idx ":" e))
versus:

Code: Select all

(dotimes (i (length L)) 
	(println i ":" (L i)))
It was simple to add with one line of code:
http://www.newlisp.org/downloads/develo ... nprogress/

rickyboy

Post by rickyboy »

Nice!
(λx. x x) (λx. x x)

TedWalther

Post by TedWalther »

Thank you Lutz!

Rickyboy: principle of least surprise. I use an array for speed and efficiency, but I use them the way I use lists. In general, my brain gets tripped up if I can't use list functions on arrays, unless there is a specific reason why that list function is specific to lists but not to arrays. I saw the recent changes Lutz made to support arrays as first class lists and they really made the language conceptually nicer, requires less brain state from me.
Cavemen in bearskins invaded the ivory towers of Artificial Intelligence. Nine months later, they left with a baby named newLISP. The women of the ivory towers wept and wailed. "Abomination!" they cried.