Ethereum

Pondering the philosophy behind the language
janeTA

Re: Ethereum

Post by janeTA »

TedWalther wrote:Patricia trees look cool, and are used in big data applications like BGP routing, etc. Very useful for quickly comparing/locating data organized by IP address, etc.

I wonder if Lutz would be open to adding Patricia Trees as a first class data type the way lists, arrays, and red-black trees are?

While still leaving RedBlack as the default, so all old code with Tree still works. The idea kind of excites me.
Yes! Agree! I would second that. Good thinking!

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

Pure by theory radix trees seem to be faster but in practice the bit fiddling required is expensive. Looking at the implementation, I see source code about 6 to 7 times bigger than our RB-tree implementation. What exactly would patricia trees add? We have already execellent speed and scaling, better than hashes for big numbers (tens or millions) of keys in newLISP.

In general, I have no objections adopting a new dictionary algorithm. We already switched once from ordinary binary tree algorithm to the current RB-tree algorithm. What other things would Patricia bring to the table, we don't have already?

If anyone wants to implement this in C for testing/benchmarking in newLISP, they should go ahead. I am not convinced enough to try myself.

Ps: this also caught my attention:
"Standard Patricia imposes a restriction on the strings stored in the tree: no string can be a prefix of any other string. One reason for this is that distinguishing between the two strings would then require testing for presence of bits, as well as testing their value. "

TedWalther

Post by TedWalther »

Lutz wrote: Ps: this also caught my attention:
"Standard Patricia imposes a restriction on the strings stored in the tree: no string can be a prefix of any other string. One reason for this is that distinguishing between the two strings would then require testing for presence of bits, as well as testing their value. "
Thank you Lutz, that does look like a show-stopper!
Cavemen in bearskins invaded the ivory towers of Artificial Intelligence. Nine months later, they left with a baby named newLISP. The women of the ivory towers wept and wailed. "Abomination!" they cried.

janeTA

Post by janeTA »

meanwhile ...
Etherium lispy-things are charging onwards & upwards ...
https://github.com/ethereum/cpp-ethereu ... L-Tutorial
where LLL = Low-level Lisp-like Language?

janeTA

Post by janeTA »

What would be useful would be some de-compilers from Ethereum-script (ESn where n = 1 or now 2) to their CLL or better LLL or even better LISP and so on?

janeTA

Post by janeTA »

What would also be useful would be some ... blockchain exploration tools?

janeTA

Post by janeTA »

Ethereum Blockchain Explorer in alpha ...

janeTA

Post by janeTA »

LISP to Ethereuim LLL in alpha ...

janeTA

Post by janeTA »

LISP to Ethereum CLL in alpha ...

TedWalther

Post by TedWalther »

Is there $$ to be made with any of these ideas?
Cavemen in bearskins invaded the ivory towers of Artificial Intelligence. Nine months later, they left with a baby named newLISP. The women of the ivory towers wept and wailed. "Abomination!" they cried.

scathey

Post by scathey »

>>Is there $$ to be made ???
indeed we'll all be making dollars.
For people familiar with Bitcoin, but not the thousands of local currencies made in the '30s...
http://www.depressionscrip.com/

TedWalther

Post by TedWalther »

Need more specifics please. Feel free to send me a private message if you have an idea of something that can make spendable currency in the near future (like, within a month).

janeTA

Post by janeTA »

LISP Ethereum client (lite) in alpha ...

TedWalther

Post by TedWalther »

What do you mean by "ethereum client". What does an etherium client do.