AMQP support

Featuring the Dragonfly web framework
PhillipT

AMQP support

Post by PhillipT »

Hi everyone.

I am looking at distributed processing and message pattern recognition using newlisp and other systems. I am just getting back up to speed on the newlisp side of this and had a quick question . Has anyone done any integration between newlisp and AMQP based messaging?

I am aware of newlisp's socket handling and playing socket integration games is what led me to start investigating heavily into AMQP but thought it best to ask before I start working out what is involved.

Many thanks

Phillip

cormullion

Re: AMQP support

Post by cormullion »

I can't recall mention of this subject on the forum. Doesn't mean that no-one's doing it - or that it hasn't been mentioned. Looks like you're a pioneer... :)

PhillipT

Post by PhillipT »

Thanks Cormullion - I did a search for AMQP before posting - so was more asking in case anyone had done this either as an experiment or a commercial project. As for pioneer - isn't that a nice way of saying - you are in for a bumpy ride but you will get to learn lots on the way :-). This will be a friday project for a wee while but once i make some progress I will post any lessons i learn on the way.

I'll also like to say a HUGE THANK YOU to you for your blog posts- since it was your blog that got me thinking about using NewLisp for Bayesian analysis of data - thank you for blogging on your experience with NewLisp it is a great resource. There are a number of other NewLisp blogs that are a brilliant as well and I am really impressed by what I am finding both with NewLisp as a language and the NewLisp community.

Thanks again for the reply.

all the very best

Phillip

hilti

Post by hilti »

Hi Phillip

I've never heard of AMQP before.
A minute ago I've read about it on wikipedia but as cormullion already said: you're a pioneer on this.
Maybe it's a good way to start using http://www.openamq.org/, because there are already C-bindings which You may use within newLISP.

Would You give me a short outline what kind of project You're starting with AMQP?

Cheers
Hilti
--()o Dragonfly web framework for newLISP
http://dragonfly.apptruck.de

PhillipT

Post by PhillipT »

Short outline: I am experimenting with environmental sensor and system event messaging and a classification framework that is tied to a real time interactive 3D visualisation front ends.

I have some sensors and software that send amqp messages through a messaging server platform. For the AMQP messaging platform I am using RabbitMQ - an erlang based open source project - which is proven, fast and reliable, easy to connect to and has some reference code available in C that I use for integration with some other tools.
(Hilti - OpenAMQP.org is a great resource - thanks for posting link)

I am experimenting with layering NewLisp on top of this at the server to do event classification based on incoming messages via the inbuilt bayesian functions. I have a very long way to go - my initial test is simply based on using the RabbitMQ message log as input into a simple new lisp script -based heavily on the initial bayesian examples to test for event pattern classification. Eventually I will need to provide an easy to use web based UI event analytics layer which I intend doing with Dragonfly (which is very cool).

I will need to send messages back into the system from NewLisp and to the front ends as well - so figured best to do that as an AMQP message as well . hence the original question. Though I could use sockets, XML-RPC or http all of which are supported by NewLisp as a means to do this as well so really just need to find more playtime to investigate.

Once i make some progress and have something worth sharing I'll post more info but this might give you an idea what I am playing around with.

All the best

Phillip

cormullion

Post by cormullion »

PhillipT wrote:I'll also like to say a HUGE THANK YOU to you for your blog posts ...
Thanks - much appreciated! Just wish I had more time for it this year... ;/