Scripts and using Notation

Featuring the Dragonfly web framework
forkinpm

Scripts and using Notation

Post by forkinpm »

Hallo!
And a "Happy New Year" to whoever reads my post.
I made my first post in December and have today read the two replies to my first posts.
Since making my first post I have been busy trying to decide on which language(s) I would concentrate on. I have decided in favour of Lisp, Prolog and CLIPs with some use of Pawn and ICON. There are more applications than just the translation model. A number of topics are oriented towards rules-driven applications.
For my analysis of English texts which I will translate into German I am building a notation scheme as a key element of the translation process. I have tried to decide against parsing and tagging as a way of analysing my texts. Instead I am builing as I said a notation scheme as a model of English sentences which I then will convert into German phrase and word sequences.
It is in fact less complex than it may sound to someone who has not done it before.
If there are any users of LISP in the forum who are doing similar work I would be pleased to hear from them.
I am at the moment searching for scripts which can
1. Segment sentences into clauses and thence into phrases.
2. Count words in sentences or patterns such as phrases.
Anyone who can tell me where I can access collections of scripts I can download, for testing purposes, I would like to hear from.
I wish to try and run my applications as command-line executables with out put being directed back to the desktop workspace.
I look forward to any sharp ideas or suggestions, and would appreciate cooperative work.
Regards, forkinpm.

cormullion

Re: Scripts and using Notation

Post by cormullion »

Hi again. I'm not sure that anybody has worked on this stuff exactly as you describe, but you can probably adapt techniques and ideas from existing code. It's probably best to give some more concrete examples of the precise tasks your script needs to solve: the 'notation scheme' sounds like a good idea in general, but you'll need to do some groundwork first before anyone can help.

Counting words should be simple, obviously; the tutorial has examples.

Have a look at http://www.newlisp.org/syntax.cgi?code/ ... ry.lsp.txt for some useful text analysis code.