Help for a newcomer

Featuring the Dragonfly web framework
forkinpm

Help for a newcomer

Post by forkinpm »

Hallo!
I am not a programmer but a writer, who needs to automate some of his desktop tasks related to writing. I use ms-win-xp and need a programming language. I seem to think that a rules driven framework is easier for the uninitiated to understand.
Can I use newLISP for the following tasks:
1. Text markup to indicate the roles of words or phrases in sentences and
2. Do it on the base of rules I will have defined
3. Create a notation for the structure of sentences and their phrase elements?
Perhaps one other question:
4. Are there any text parsers available to LISP users or LISP programmers?
If the answers to my questions indicate that it can be used for such, are there any archive scripts which look akin to these tasks?
Are there any members working along the same task-lines?
I'd like to hear from anyone who can offer me any help or guidance.
Thanks and regards, forkinpm.

cormullion

Re: Help for a newcomer

Post by cormullion »

HI there! newLISP is a general purpose versatile scripting language, so you can probably make it tackle all kinds of tasks. If you're interested in languages, you might already know about:

http://www.newlisp.org/modules/various/wordnet.lsp.html

Currently newLISP has quite a small user base, so you may well find that you're something of a pioneer in your own particular field. The role of pioneer can be quite demanding ... but if you need general assistance getting started, feel free to ask.

itistoday

Re: Help for a newcomer

Post by itistoday »

If you're looking for a language that is fast and easy to learn, yet at the same time extremely powerful, newLISP is next to none. Its documentation is excellent. In some ways its ease of use makes it irrelevant whether you're a "pioneer" or not. Welcome to the forums (and newLISP) btw!
Get your Objective newLISP groove on.