Error message when starting newLISP-tk

Guiserver, GTK-server, OpenGL, PostScript,
HTML 5, MIDI, IDE
femol

Error message when starting newLISP-tk

Post by femol »

I tried installing newLISP to try it out but after starting it gave me this:

Error sourcing /freewrap/newlisp-tk.tcl: error flushing "sock156": software caused connection abort
too many nested evaluations (infinite loop?)
while executing
".scroll set 0 0"
(vertical scrolling command executed by text)
while executing
".scroll set 0 1"
(vertical scrolling command executed by text)

I searched around but didn't find anything in that respect.
Anyone can help me with some pointers?

Thanks in advance.

nigelbrown

Post by nigelbrown »

Hi,
The newlisp installer for 8.8.0 installs and newlisp-tk runs fine on my win-xp home SP2
system. Could you give more details on your system and how the install went?

Regards
Nigel

femol

Post by femol »

Hi, thanks for replying.

The install went ok, no errors.
My system is a Windows XP Professional SP2
I tought it could have to do with ZoneAlarm since I read somewhere that
the communication between newLISP and the console occurs via TCP/IP, but
neither opening some ports or disabling ZoneAlarm helped much...

This occurs right after I start newLISP-tk.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

nigelbrown

Post by nigelbrown »

Try
1.Check that newlisp itself can be started from the commandline
eg open console box, cd to directory, newlisp.exe and check it starts.
2.check no newlisp is already running before newlisp-tk is started

I'll try to think about how to check sockets.

Nigel

femol

Post by femol »

From the console it runs just fine.

Checked for instances of newLISP running before starting, and there were none.

Elusive bug indeed.

Thanks again.

pjot

Post by pjot »

Though I am not an experienced WIndows user, I hear that WinXP has a built-in firewall, which is switched on by default.

NewLisp-TK listens to TCP port 64001. Are you sure this built-in firewall is not bothering you?

Peter

femol

Post by femol »

I am afraid this isn't the case, as i disabled it so it didn't conflict with ZoneAlarm.

Anyway, even when it disabled i tried opening up TCP 64001 (this is windows after all) but had no success.

Thanks for the tip though.

Ryon

Post by Ryon »

newLISP-TK has been out for some time, and is very stable. The only trouble I've had with Windows is that sometimes it will leave a process running. You might do the Ctl-Alt-Del thing to see if it has left an orphan.

Other than that, have you tried to delete the folder and install from a new download?

femol

Post by femol »

I must be the only one who has this problem in the world, really.

Searching google and the forums for answers came up empty.

I tried terminating the process tree from the process manager, but this didn't help also.

Tried also uninstalling, deleting the entire folder by hand and reinstalling, with both the stable and the development version, but neither worked.

I guess I must stick to Scheme or Common Lisp then? : (

Any other ideas? Or IDEs? Something like newLISP-tk that I can use?

Thanks to all.

nigelbrown

Post by nigelbrown »

Still on newlisp-tk - perhaps

1) another install of tk/tcl is getting in the way?

2) check contents of config file. Newlisp-tk manual says:

"The file newlisp-tk.config can be found in the startup directory of newlisp-tk.exe. If no newlisp-tk.config is found, newLISP-tk will start using default values for all configuration parameters. A newlisp-tk.config file can be generated by selecting Options/Save Settings from the main console menu.

Two different ports are used for TCLTKport and newLISPport but newLISPhost and TCLTKhost should have the same IP address, normally 127.0.0.1, when running the GUI front-end and the newlisp executable on the same computer. After an unsuccessful startup use the Windows Task Manager to make sure that none of the processes newlisp-tk.exe and newlisp.exe has been left running. After a failed start attempt remove those processes and start over again executing newlisp-tk.exe.
"

Regarding another IDE I've used Vim with bracket matching and lisp syntax highlighting to edit newlisp files, save them (you can leave vim open on the file, it doesn't lock it), then run newlisp in a console window for testing - not very integrated I'll grant but usable. I used it to test running newlisp instances on an openmosix setup where having a link to newlisp-tk didn't make sense anyway. I've not tried setting up for running newlisp as a tool from vim but maybe a better Vim'er could help you there.

Nigel

PS <edit>
Openmosix testing was under linux but the using vim that way also works in windows.

for your reference
My newlisp-tk.config is:
# newlisp-tk.config - newLISP Tcl/Tk configuration file
#
# This file is generated by menu "Options/Save settings"
#

set Ide(HelpProgram) "$env(PROGRAMFILES)/Internet Explorer/IEXPLORE.EXE"
set Ide(TCLTKhost) "127.0.0.1"
set Ide(TCLTKport) "64002"
set Ide(WinPosX) "183"
set Ide(WinPosY) "120"
set Ide(consoleBackground) "white"
set Ide(consoleForeground) "navy"
set Ide(consoleHeight) "30"
set Ide(consoleWidth) "80"
set Ide(debuggerBackground) "white"
set Ide(debuggerForeground) "navy"
set Ide(debuggerHeight) "24"
set Ide(debuggerWidth) "65"
set Ide(editorBackground) "white"
set Ide(editorForeground) "navy"
set Ide(editorHeight) "30"
set Ide(editorWidth) "65"
set Ide(fontName) "Fixedsys"
set Ide(fontSize) "10"
set Ide(imageDir) "/freewrap/images"
set Ide(initCommand) ""
set Ide(lispFileExtension) ".lsp"
set Ide(maxHistory) "50"
set Ide(newLISPapp) ""
set Ide(newLISPhost) "127.0.0.1"
set Ide(newLISPport) "64001"
set Ide(platform) "windows"
set Ide(HelpTopic-tk) {C:\Program Files\newlisp\newlisp-tk.html}

femol

Post by femol »

I don't have other install of TCL/TK in the same machine.Unless Ruby installed something in that respect.I will try uninstalling it just to be sure.

The config file seems exactly like mine.Strange.

I am more of an Emacs guy, do you know of any mode for it? One that has
some kind of interaction like SLIME?

Thanks.

Ryon

Post by Ryon »

How does Tk respond to calls to ports 64001 and 64002? Could we write a newLISP function that checks to see if there's anything there?

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

Both applications wait for command lines entered on their respective ports. newLISP on 64001 and Tcl/Tk on 64001 after establishing a connection.

Before the connection is established you could just use telnet to check it out, becuase everything is text based.

Lutz

newdep

Post by newdep »

Hi Femol,

I actualy never use windows,or windows with newlisp ;-)
but i just installed it on my XP machine (running defender/AntiVir and XP
Firewall) The only complain I got during the start of "newlisp-tk.exe"
was "Do you want to block this application"... I rejected it and it works
like a charm... Also during the shutdown it askes me the same question
again.. I dont have Tcl/TK installed on my machine...

Regards, Norman.
-- (define? (Cornflakes))

HPW

Post by HPW »

I used newLISP from the beginning on windows.
I have used it on all flavors of windows.
WIN95,NT4,WIN2K and XP.
Only on WIN95 I had to install TCP/IP dlls because they are not standard there. The other made no problem.
Hans-Peter

femol

Post by femol »

@newdep: The same happened with ZoneAlarm, it asked me to block or to allow, I choose allow, both for server and for client, but didn't work...

I can't understand why it only happens with me, must be something very particular with my setup...Only I can't figure out what it is.

@Lutz: I tried running newLISP console with the -p option and the same port (64001) and it connected just fine by telnet, just like you said it would.

Only when I run newLISP-tk it can't connect to neither one of the ports (64001 or 64002).

I want it to work so bad that I got the source of newLISP-tk and looked through it, but couldn't see the problem...I thought of trying to debug it, but don't know how I would go about it, I downloaded ActiveTCL distribution from ActiveState and a TCL debugger called RamDebugger to try and see where the error happens, but I don't know how to set a breakpoint since the script is inside newLISP-tk.exe.Is there some way to unpack it? If I rebuild it from source is there a way to not pack the script inside newLISP-tk.exe? And how would I go about rebuilding it? I have cygwin installed if that helps.

Sorry for the noise, but I really, really want newLISP to work.

Thanks to all that helped me so far.

Ryon

Post by Ryon »

Hmmmm. Does /freewrap/newlisp-tk.tcl: mean anything special to your system? I don't find the freewrap directory used in http://www.newlisp.org/downloads/newlis ... tk-135.exe. This is the installer you are using, right?

femol

Post by femol »

No, it doesn't mean anything special.I guess it is a directory created by the packing application used, freewrap (http://freewrap.sourceforge.net), which turns a tcl script into a packed exe application.

nigelbrown

Post by nigelbrown »

I see this link may be about a somewhat similar problem (judging by similar error messages)
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/M ... tk/2945513

I see scrolling is mentioned in errors.
Is something causing scrolling of newlisp-tk window while it's trying to set up?
Perhaps a character set or default font size issue. Less likely but maybe worth considering is 32/64 bit issue (but I run newlisp fine with standard winXP on 64 bit capable pentium) - is it a 64 bit winXP?. What CPU and char set are you running with? What is Windows locale? Screen resolution/color depth setting?

Nigel

Ryon

Post by Ryon »

http://www.newlisp.org/downloads/newlis ... tk-135.exe. This is the installer you are using, right?

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

Welcome to newLISP Femol,

You can run the file newlisp-tk.tcl by itself, it will only look for newlisp.exe in the installed path and of course you would need a Tcl/Tk installation. newlisp-tk.exe is just newlisp-tk.tcl and tcl/tk packaged together.

newlisp-tk.tcl starts by setting all its configuration variables Ide(...) to defaults, then it looks for a newlisp-tk.config and loads it if it exists, if newlisp-tk.config does not exist it just takes the default values set at first.

Then newlisp-tk.tcl starts newlisp.exe. Then both open their listerner ports and start listening for each other for commands.

Lutz

femol

Post by femol »

@Ryon: Sorry, didn't see that part.Yes, this is the installer I am using, but I also tried the development version with the same effects.

@nigelbrown: It could be the scrolling, judging by the messages there.Or the drawing code.Don't know...Will try debugging it.
I am using Windows XP Professional SP 2 32 bit AMD Athlon 1800+.
Character set is ISO-8859-1, locale Brazil, 1024x768/32 bpp

@Lutz: Nice, I will try running it in script form and debugging it.Anything else I need to run it like images, etc that are packed together in the exe?

Thanks!

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

... I forgot there is the newlisp-8.8.0/newlisp-tk/images directory you need.

The best is to start newlisp-tk.tcl from inside the distribution directory: newlisp-8.8.0/newlisp-tk/ This way newlisp-tk.tcl finds everything in the place where its looking for.

Lutz

Ryon

Post by Ryon »

I wonder if there's something about the Brazilian character set that might be causing the problem.