gui toolkit / server

Guiserver, GTK-server, OpenGL, PostScript,
HTML 5, MIDI, IDE
gsev

gui toolkit / server

Post by gsev »

I'm new to newlisp, and finding the language very refreshing and fun to use while the documentation is excellent.

Which gui system should i use?

GS (i do not normally like Java but it looks like the default choice)
GTK+ (have dabbled with it using both python and PHP (though not at the same time of course) GLADE is a nice solution for building generic gui)
TK (I have Practical Programming in Tcl an TK by Brent Welch :- TK looks quite nice to use), cant find much info on using it with newlisp. Seen some references to newlisp-tk but have not seen and link to download it, does that mean that it is obsoleted by GS?
are there others?

So I think maybe I should just use GS.

Has anyone any ideas/experiences/tips they would like to share?

Many thanks in advance,
gsev

HPW

Re: gui toolkit / server

Post by HPW »

GTK
For GTK take a look at Peter's site:

http://www.turtle.dds.nl/newlisp/
TK (I have Practical Programming in Tcl an TK by Brent Welch :- TK looks quite nice to use), cant find much info on using it with newlisp. Seen some references to newlisp-tk but have not seen and link to download it, does that mean that it is obsoleted by GS?
TK was the newLISP default GUI before GS came out.
GS has replaced the TK frontend and TK is no more officially supported by Lutz.
But there is still a newlisp-tk.exe around which runs with the current newLISP.exe
and there exists an newlisp-tk.html with the older doku about it.
Also there is an updated version of the old demo.lsp running the TK-demos.
are there others?
Since you can call the DLL-Version from any enviroment, you have a lot of choice.
There was an VBA for using newLISP.dll in Excel.
I use the DLL-Version in the neobook-RAD-Tool on windows.
I have also test it with delphi and powerbasic.
It should also be possible from .NET by importing the DLL.
Hans-Peter

cormullion

Post by cormullion »

It probably depends a bit on what you want to do. I suppose newLISP-GS is the current default and 'official' choice, and works well when you're learning the system - assuming you can get java working for you (which seems to have been a problem on the forum recently - some people have trouble getting newLISP-GS working on Windows).

I found newLISP-GS to be excellent at the basics although it won't handle some graphical tasks. For simple applications (sparklines, Reversi) it's pretty straightforward and ideal for me. For more precise graphical work I go for PostScript and more recently HTMLCanvas5.

gsev

Post by gsev »

newlisp-GS it is!
I was looking for the 'default' gui and will perhaps try some of the others later. Its nice to have an idea of whats out there (I keep looking for new/better ways of doing things, thats how I found newlisp).
Thanks guys!