IDE in 10.1.0

Guiserver, GTK-server, OpenGL, PostScript,
HTML 5, MIDI, IDE
Ryon

IDE in 10.1.0

Post by Ryon »

I'm afraid I've forgotten how to bring up the IDE.

The IDE page says "The Java based GUI server is automatically started when the program loads guiserver.lsp." but I get no IDE window when I load it:

Code: Select all

ryon@rabbit:~/guiserver$ newlisp ./guiserver.lsp
newLISP v.10.1.0 64-bit on Linux IPv4 UTF-8, execute 'newlisp -h' for more info.

>

I am able to load and run the other graphical demos -- button-demo.lsp, pinballs-demo.lsp, etc. -- but not the IDE window.

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

The program using the Java based IDE is: newlisp-edit.lsp. On Linux/UNIX installations it is renamed to newlisp-edit and installed in /usr/bin/. On Win32 it stays as newlisp-edit.lsp in c:\Program Files\newlisp\newlisp\.

It is newlisp-edit which makes the IDE. It loads the guiserver.lsp moudule file and that in turn starts the Java based GUI server: guiserver.jar.

So in Unix do in a terminal shell:

newlisp-edit
On Win32 the IDE is started using the desktop shortcut or the Start-menu option.

To start one of the demo apps do:

newlisp /usr/share/newlisp/guiserver/button-demo.lsp
etc.

Now he most important point when running on Linux!!!

The Java installed by default on Linux is in most cases not usable, only on Mac OSX you can use it right out of the box. Instead download the original Sun Java JRE v.1.5 or later (1.6 works too, and more efficient on 64-bit CPUs). After installing this IDE in any location, make a symbolic link:

ln -s /usr/share/java/JRE-1.x/bin/java  /usr/bin/java
The left part could be different, depending in which dir you install the JRE (Java Runtime Environment).

newLISP-GS on Linux runs pretty well, and looks good too (i.e. on UBUNTU using Gnome).

Ryon

Post by Ryon »

newLISP-GS on Linux runs pretty well, and looks good too (i.e. on UBUNTU using Gnome).
It sure does! Thanks for the help. It ran fine, without any fuss when I entered

newlisp-edit