Can't Launch newLISP-GS

Guiserver, GTK-server, OpenGL, PostScript,
HTML 5, MIDI, IDE
DrDave

Can't Launch newLISP-GS

Post by DrDave »

I'm having a problem launching newLISP-GS. It was suggested that perhaps I did not install newLisp to the default location. Well, if that is the case, then the INSTALLER is not doing the correct installation when the default settings are used.

I'm runing XP Home on an HP laptop. I installed newLisp 9.3 using this installer: newlisp-9300-win-gs-114.exe

I used the default settings. When I clicked the desktop shortcut to launch newLISP-GS, I got an error dialog.
dialog title: Java Virtual Machine Launcher
dialog text: Could not find the main class. Pogram will exit.

I then installed the same package on my desktop system that is running XP Pro and got the same results.

Now, if this is correct behavior, then it is ludicrous to have it. When I have a shortcut to launch something, it should launch it "out of the box" without me needing to go and change some settings. If it is indeed some legitimate error, what is the procedure to fix it.

DrDave

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

You may have to install the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) from java.sun.com. Version 1.5 is the minimum required.

ps: in any case you also can use newLISP as a console application, starting c:\Program Files\newlisp\newlisp.exe from the command line. If the installation went correctly then c:\Program Files\newlisp\ has also been added to the executable path.

DrDave

Post by DrDave »

Lutz wrote:You may have to install the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) from java.sun.com. Version 1.5 is the minimum required.
I am aware that JRE is required. I have JRE on both the laptop and desktop system to enable running J-Trader trading platform. The JRE starts up fine and J-Trader runs fine on both computers. However, I just checked the version and see that it is 1.4.2, so I'll see about an update and see if that fixes the error.
Lutz wrote:ps: in any case you also can use newLISP as a console application, starting c:\Program Files\newlisp\newlisp.exe from the command line. If the installation went correctly then c:\Program Files\newlisp\ has also been added to the executable path.
This is what I resorted to running when newLISP-GS wouildn't cooperate. But part of the reason I chose to go with newLISP was the existence of GS.

DrDave

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

In case you get newLISP-GS running after installing a later JRE, I recommend upgrading to a recent development version (i.e. 9.3.12). A lot of little bugs in the editor have been fixed since 9.3.0.

DrDave

Post by DrDave »

Thanks for your help. I upgradede to JRE 1.6 and all is well on both computers

I'll look into the upgrade to 9.3.12

DrDave