Reversi

Guiserver, GTK-server, OpenGL, PostScript,
HTML 5, MIDI, IDE
cormullion

Reversi

Post by cormullion »

Apparently the game Reversi was invented in about 1880, and Othello was only issued in 1975. So my attempt at a version of this game is called Reversi. I can imagine it being a frustrating game when played by hand - all that flipping...

This is my first version, which is based on some Common Lisp code by Peter Norvig:

http://alh.net/newlisp/wiki/index.cgi?page=Reversi

The translation of the game algorithms was fairly easy, except for Common Lisp's Loop macro, which is hard to understand anyway, let alone when converting it to newLISP.

I think there are many areas for improvement - the timing of the interface actions, for one. Making an application that's event driven is a job in itself. And I haven't decided how to stop the game properly, so you'll have to quit it at the end... If you can help, make the changes on the wiki version!

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

Excellent, thanks for presenting this well written and formatted/commented piece. Special thanks for the header, that makes it easy to index and catalogize it.

Lutz

cormullion

Post by cormullion »

Lutz wrote:Special thanks for the header, that makes it easy to index and catalogize it.
Lutz
:-) I did the easy ones!

newdep

Post by newdep »

Aaaaaaaa im off for a month or two and already the guiserver is
even more smashing ;-) (nice work Lutz!! i need to hurry and catchup with the new features soon ;-)

Nice work Cormullion...!
the reversi may not be missing :-)
-- (define? (Cornflakes))